North Carolina

Can someone help me with incubating? I have been tryin since April and NUTTIN yet. I have Little Giant and I have an egg turner, I put eggs pointy side down, temp is 100-99.5, humidity 61-64%, on 18th day I move to another bator for lockdown, placing them in an open egg carton pointy side down still...............and after 25 days NOTHING - Zero - 0 - ZILTCH!!!!!!!! I know the eggs are fertile...my friend has hatched some of mine, I opened some eggs after the 25th day and they looked fully developed....Any help is appreciated!

Gezzzzz...this gives me flashbacks from when DH & I were trying to conceive!!!!!!

Like CSB said. I am running the LG successfully. No turner..that fried the eggs. I put them in and roll them around couple Xs a day.
I run it DRY.. no water at all. Then at lock down add a small amount of water...raising the humidity to 40% ish. Have not had any problems.

I will agree 60% is WAY to high humidity. They are drowning.

So I (think) I have fabulous news!
My. Bojangles (the cat) jumped up on the dinner table tonight and started eating mac & cheese off my daughter's plate.
While I normally would not approve of such behavior, this is the first time in a week he has decided to eat anything!
I kept trying wet cat food and baby food roast beef with a syringe the past few days, but he just spit it out.
This is also the first time in quite awhile he got up and walked somewhere on his own without having to be carried.
So I'm super excited over here
celebrate.gif
(hope I'm not getting ahead of myself)

Kristan-- Love your profile pic by the way! I'm not making a recommendation since humidity is supposed to be kept low until lockdown, but my last hatch the humidity was between 65 & 75 and almost all hatched. I probably got lucky, but maybe it's something besides the humidity? I've only done 2 hatches-- one without an egg turner and one with. The one with I adjusted the temp to be slightly lower and placed the eggs farther from the motor. I had really good hatch rates for mail order eggs.

DST-- I'm so sorry for your losses. I love barred rocks! Good luck finding a home for your doggie

Side note-- my overpriced silkies from mypetchicken.com shipped today, should be here wednesday!!! I couldn't deal with another turning out to be a boy after I got attached so fingers crossed they are accurate on their sexing, since they're the only place I could find that sells female silkie chicks!

dutch - I'm glad Mr. Bojangles is doing better. When they've been sick any improvement is cause to celebrate.

DST - I'm sorry about your chickens and that your happy day was ruined. I'm sure you won't have any problem finding a home for such a pretty dog. I can't imagine how you feel.
hugs.gif

DST.... Sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, dogs do kill chickens & whatever. I have 12 dogs and any one of them will kill whatever critter they can get a hold of. It happens.. sad but true. :(

Its hard mine just killed the bunny in pic with the silkie. I let mine run free in a 200by75 lot and got out and got killed. My wife wants to het ride of her but I can't. Sorry for your losses the chickeand the dog.

Hi y'all-

I have been trying to read-up and follow this post but life has gotten very busy lately.
Update: the girls are in the coop and loving it, they are around 14wks now. I'm going to be out of the feeder/grower feed and next week and i will have pullets that are 15 and 14wks old, is it too soon to move them layer feed? i really don't want to go by a 50lb bag of feed if they aren't going to finish it. I have heard that they can move to layer at 16wks, is that right? (also have heard waiting til 20wks.)

Also anyone familiar with Americana roosters what they look like at 14wks? I think we have one.
Thanks!

Hi y'all-

I have been trying to read-up and follow this post but life has gotten very busy lately.
Update: the girls are in the coop and loving it, they are around 14wks now.  I'm going to be out of the feeder/grower feed and next week and i will have pullets that are 15 and 14wks old, is it too soon to move them layer feed? i really don't want to go by a 50lb bag of feed if they aren't going to finish it.  I have heard that they can move to layer at 16wks, is that right? (also have heard waiting til 20wks.)

Also anyone familiar with Americana roosters what they look like at 14wks? I think we have one.
Thanks!

u could get a small bag of feed to use to transition or get a big bag or grower finisher

Yeah she was only suppose to be with us for two months, but after that she just walked up to us and announced that she had to stay for another few months. We said that was okay, because she had to get her diabetes in check, but since then we have realized that she doesn't give a rats backside about her diabetes. She says that she can 'treat' her (what she calls) sugar diabetes with medicine and that she thinks she can eat whatever she wants. Then a few weeks ago she just announced to my mother that she will be having to stay until next August; of 2014... We are using this incident to give her a good reason to leave! 

Thank you so much for saying that. My aunt has a knack of driving anyone insane even if she hasn't met them. 

Sorry for the sob story, just this ruined my happy day of getting new chickens and I've already ranted to every person offline about it, so I thought I would share with my chicken friends! 

Back
Top Bottom