NY chicken lover!!!!

I'm in Wilson. I work in tonawanda and am willing to travel. I really need him. I'm losing out on chick sales. I have had to turn down 3 customers because I lost my roo and don't have chicks. It stinks that the last one I had to refer to tractor supply because I knew they had barred rocks.

Hi folks, 
I'm home and glad to be.  I'm sorry to skip so many posts but I'm a bit stunned. :idunno  It seems that while I was away DW had some test done. I didn't know til I got home today.  She didn't tell me.  The short version is they found breast cancer.  We go tomorrow to talk to the surgeon. Please keep her in prayer. 

I do hope everyone else is doing fine. 

Thanks in advance, 

Rancher

So sorry rancher. We will keep you and your wife in our prayers. Hopefully they caught it early enough

Hi folks,
I'm home and glad to be. I'm sorry to skip so many posts but I'm a bit stunned.
idunno.gif
It seems that while I was away DW had some test done. I didn't know til I got home today. She didn't tell me. The short version is they found breast cancer. We go tomorrow to talk to the surgeon. Please keep her in prayer.

Thanks in advance,

Rancher
Oh Ranche, I'm so sorry! Praying for you both!

I'm in Wilson. I work in tonawanda and am willing to travel. I really need him. I'm losing out on chick sales. I have had to turn down 3 customers because I lost my roo and don't have chicks. It stinks that the last one I had to refer to tractor supply because I knew they had barred rocks.

Ehhh, we're in Penn Yan, which is a hike from you. If you don't mind the trip, and can't find one closer, let me know. I'm pretty sure I can let him go, I'm bound to get at least one roo out of the 21 eggs in my incubator.

I don't have chickens that pull their feathers out for a nest. Some might I guess. They usually haveit in their head, that they need a certain amount of eggs in the next before they sit. Silkies need less eggs to go broody, sometimes they go broody without eggs at all! But most large fowl will not go broody with a goodly number of eggs laid. Now that I said that, I've had a couple of Marans hens go broody with nothing, so I guess it depends on the hen.

Definately depends on the hen. Most of mine that have gone broody have done so on nothing. One stupid silkie tried to hatch a GOLF BALL. (I took it away after 5 days and gave her 4 eggs)
I know that ducks will keep laying daily until they have a clutch and then sit on them consistantly through hatching, but it hasn't been my experience that hens do the same. Seems hens lay an egg, decide to sit on it and invite their coop mates to lay eggs in their nest. It's a waste of eggs if you don't mark the first ones you want hatched and remove the new eggs daily. I swear that when Momma is broody the other hens cross their legs until she jumps off to eat and poop and gulp down water then they all pile in the nest and lay their eggs there for her to hatch. (Of course I remove them, but they don't know that) Once I gave her 6 eggs and the next afternoon there were 14 eggs in there. I DON"T EVEN HAVE ENOUGH HENS for that to happen. I think someone hid an egg the day before and put it in her nest with the rest of them. The instinct to reproduce is very strong.

Hi folks,
I'm home and glad to be. I'm sorry to skip so many posts but I'm a bit stunned.
idunno.gif
It seems that while I was away DW had some test done. I didn't know til I got home today. She didn't tell me. The short version is they found breast cancer. We go tomorrow to talk to the surgeon. Please keep her in prayer.

Thanks in advance,

Rancher

Prayers Rancher, lots of prayers for both of you.

Hi folks, 
I'm home and glad to be.  I'm sorry to skip so many posts but I'm a bit stunned. :idunno  It seems that while I was away DW had some test done. I didn't know til I got home today.  She didn't tell me.  The short version is they found breast cancer.  We go tomorrow to talk to the surgeon. Please keep her in prayer. 

Thanks in advance, 

Rancher

Ugh, rough news to come home to. Will be praying for you both.

Here is my Barred Rock, "Pseudo-Bob" (long story). I don't know anything about breed conformation for BR, but he looks like a nice rooster to me. He's a bit dusty, hence the light brownish coloring on his breast. Also, our BR hen plucked some of his breast feathers.

As roosters go, he's diligent with his hens, and only ever gets nasty with me when I pick up one of his girls and she squawks. I have some of his fertilized eggs in the incubator and they are developing. Let me know if you want him!

Quote:
My hens like to lay where everyone else does .I have 6 nesting boxes . Most like the 1st one on the right .
Chickie See Chickie do ...chickie get in trouble too .Not sure if it is the instinct to reproduce or the instinct to Copy ...LOL
Maybe A Bit Of Both .
I have fake eggs in the other ones ..to encourage them to spread out ..sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt .
Little TT chose a nest box on the end . Other hens did contribute to her pile .
Going Broody is a hormonal thing .So at some point they arent laying anymore .
Once they start laying again ...thats the end of being Mommy ..TT changed overnight after she started laying again ..then she pecked at her chick if it got near her
CASS - you got a Sumatra Roo ...I miss my Sammy so much ..

Back
Top Bottom