NY chicken lover!!!!

From eHow: Mycoplasma galliseptum (or gallisepticum) (MG) is a bacterial infection in chickens, turkeys and other birds. It can have no symptoms, but the most common signs of MG infection in chickens are coughing, respiratory discharge, lack of appetite, swollen sinuses, slow growth, and leg problems. Even if an infected bird shows no symptoms, MG infection can cause a decrease in breeding and egg production.

Here is a good description of symptoms and treatment with denagard from a thread on BYC:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/392918/anyone-familiar-with-denagard

Here they are! One has spraddle leg, anyone fixed that in geese? Its more back than to the side...of course, its the darker one that I think is a girl.... Now, I'mm not sure about the others being boys, that they are dry, I see grey on their backs in varyinng shades of darkness, but all three have yellow heads. I didn't know goslings could hop! One almost hopped out of the hatcher. They are already coming up to my hand when I put it inn the hatcher....so cute & friendly:love !
A while back I worked as a vet tech in an animal hospital that specialized in birds. We fixed quite a few baby parrot splay legs. The vet would cut a small surf board shape from foam with pliable metal backing (thin plastic would probably do). A roll of gauze the width between legs was prepared. The bird's feet were then taped down to the surfboard with correct positioning & the roll of gauze placed between the legs. The bird obviously can't walk w this contraption, but it straightened out many parrot legs. Might work for a goose.

From eHow: Mycoplasma galliseptum (or gallisepticum) (MG) is a bacterial infection in chickens, turkeys and other birds. It can have no symptoms, but the most common signs of MG infection in chickens are coughing, respiratory discharge, lack of appetite, swollen sinuses, slow growth, and leg problems. Even if an infected bird shows no symptoms, MG infection can cause a decrease in breeding and egg production.
Here is a good description of symptoms and treatment with denagard from a thread on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/392918/anyone-familiar-with-denagard
Thank you!!

If you ever want to show your chickens, then you need NPIP. I figure if Little Girl is interested in showing when she is old enough, then I will close my flock and get certified.
I call dibs on the Brinsea if you ever decide to part with it. 7 egg limit is much less dangerous to morehens than the LG
big_smile.png

I wont be showing any time soon. I thought about it, and after bringing up the whole showing rabbits thing with my kids and bringing them to a show, I'll be waiting until they are older, and even then who knows if they'll have interest. There's no way my kids will enjoy spending a day or even two at a show waiting for their animal to be judged. And I can't do it until I know I have someone who I can call to watch them or even get my husband to get a day off so I can go and spend the whole day.

Thanks for responding featherz & (north of glens falls person)! My computer is
"funny" again so I am quickly writing while it is working. If possible I can meet you both on Mon. at some point. If you can text me about a time at 518 391-9087 that would be great!
Still would like a few white eggs from someone that I know would be fertile..
ktblue3

Lynzi I would ask the women in MA where she got her silkies she might have got them from Geri Godina she ships her chicks hens and eggs all over the place sells them all over on facebook. I have some from Geri Godina, East Coast Silkies and Catdance Silkies but I also have a few I got from someone in Florida and they were from eggs that were hatched from Geri Godina's birds.
We talked about the birds we had when I met her to pick them up, they weren't from Geri. She only had a couple of silkies, isn't into them a she is her other birds and livestock. It just so happen she had some splash when I was down there. I think those were the only three chicks she had hatch last year as far as silkies went.

Morning all. Someone turned off the heat outside and threw some snow on the ground last night. The terrorists refuse to come out of their coop. Wusses. And they are blaming me. My silkies pounded out their doors this morning no problem. Speaking of, I had a war of sorts with one of my broody silkies. I went out to candle her eggs and found that she had 11, not the 5 I left her with, under her. Obviously she was stealing her sisters eggs. Anyways, I pulled them all out and started to candle them when the little witch comes growling out of her next and starts grabbing the eggs and putting them back in her nest. She was quick too and I had to keep redoing some of the eggs as I was putting the developing ones back in and she was adding the others. I kept pushing her away from the eggs so I could grab them and she just growled and kept grabbing them. After a 10 minute tussle I finally had her back down to five eggs. Between the growling and the attempts to remove my hands and fingers from her eggs, Im lucky I got out in one piece. She is a wolf in a silkie body! I have pips in the bator. Hoping for babies when I get home from work.

Desiree--can you put that girl in her own cage for a while and treat her eye and feed her? Yogurt is good. I use vetermycin eye ointment and that stuff is amazing.

Okay...off to the pharm. Have a good day everyone.

Pharm, your birds are quite comical! I can only imagine a silkie sitting on 11 eggs! LOL

REgarding chickenstock on May 17th.

I am coming and posted the following on the chicken stock thread. Reposting here in case everyone doesn't keep up with it.

What I can bring....

black copper Marans & Wheaten Marans (eggs only on Wheatens)
Lavendar Orps-eggs if they start laying again, but I have lots of chicks,some even sexed.
Coronation Sussex-eggs & a few chicks
Light Sussex-eggs probably only
Possibly a Sebastapol egg or 2. Depends on how many I hatch out before that.

Sikie paint pair, some project silver partridge silkie chicks. Maybe an adult or 2.

If interested please pm me. I'm not bringing the whole barn....LOL Just what people say they want.

As for eating....hmmm I'm gluten free, so don't know if I'll eat or not.

Wine for the raffle-made by me!

Back
Top Bottom