NY chicken lover!!!!

Question...can you put Vaseline on combs and wattles to PREVENT frostbite or wait and see....

Vaseline will not PREVENT frostbite. If you have dampness in your coop and freezing temperatures, wattles and combs will freeze. The Vaseline is a simply barrier to that happening. If you do use it, try and make sure the combs/wattles are dry before you apply it, otherwise they will freeze.

Thanks! I will focus on keeping my coops moisture free. Seems easier to me.

Easier for you and healthier for your birds. Chickens are prone to respiratory stuff and dampness in the coop makes things worse!
smile.png

I was the other beekeeper :) Well, actually my husband. Check out Empire State Beekeepers Association, believe it was their website that I found a list of all clubs throughout the state. We belong to Southern Tier Beekeepers, we meet in Chenango Bridge outside Binghamton. I know Finger Lakes club meets in Ithaca and another club meets in Syracuse.

I did! It's was run by the NY Forest Owners Assoc. . There are 3 parts to it - I took part one which is a basic introduction to chainsaws, safety and how to fell a tree safely. Parts 2&3 are for those that have a greater need than I. Apart from all the 'looks' I got (only woman there), it was a very enjoyable afternoon - in the rain and cold.
roll.png
I really recommend it!
I have a small 16" and the chain has come off too many times. I've really messed up the chain this time I think and will be buying a new one. I've only used it about three or four times. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks! I will focus on keeping my coops moisture free. Seems easier to me.

I have always had big coops, plenty of room. There is some drafts, IMHO, keep ventilation, keeps the humidity down.
I have a small 16" and the chain has come off too many times. I've really messed up the chain this time I think and will be buying a new one. I've only used it about three or four times. I must be doing something wrong.
Yup, doing something wrong. Poulan or craftsman? The bar, is more likely the problem.

Back
Top Bottom