NY chicken lover!!!!

Hello again guys!

Still battling our rodent issue in the coop. Pretty sure it's a rat, but man alive, we can not catch this thing. Came real close with a snap trap baited with bacon, but when the trap discharged, it got caught on the bottom of the wall that divides my coop. So close and yet so far.

We have a live trap in there now, but so far, the critter has avoided it.

Still no eggs from my layers, too.

What brings me here tonight is a foot issue on one of my hens. We call her Sickie Chick. She is just a very odd bird and was ignoring the food on her side of the coop, while fixating on the food on the other side of the dividing door.

She got so weak, she couldn't jump up to the bars and was pretty lethargic. So I moved her to the bantam side and she has done much better.

Two days ago, I noticed that the long toe on one foot was curled. Never had been before. Her foot is pretty swollen and smells...kind of like propane gas. Sounds like bumble foot, but there is no obvious sign of injury, no black spot, etc. Some of the skin is flaky on the bottom, and a couple of her toe nails are reddish. Any ideas? Bumblefoot wouldn't cause the toe to curl, would it?

How is Sickie Chick? I re-read your post and got to thinking about gas gangrene - a bacterial infection. If that is the problem she needs antibiotics asap or she will likely die......

It worked! Now, how do I get these codes? Is there a list of them somewhere?
Across the top of the Reply page is a Menu, with Font size, Bold, Italics etc. etc . Find the smiley face. Click on that and a drop down menu will appear. The icon with the mountain and moon is the one you'd click on to post pictures.

Hope this helps.

Rancher

@Devona scroll to the bottom of your phone and switch it from mobile to desktop, everything will be there. You can change, add a avatar that way from phone.

i have a SLW and she is not overly friendly either. bossy if you ask me, but pretty bird. on the other hand, i also have a GLW who is a sweetie pie and I LOVE her to the moon and back. Shes the first to greet me and follows me around like a dog. lays everyday.

Anyone ever have this ?
My almost 4 year old comet ..
Not eating any food ...nothing in her crop ...she is only eating snow .
I think she is dying of old age ... Something is definitely wrong ..no other symptoms

Last edited:
I'm glad I asked! I haven't decided yet what my next breed will be, but I agree I'll look for some local breeders when I have decided.

Right now I'm looking into speckled Sussex and welsummers. I need more calm, quiet birds that are brown or white egg layers.
I'll have speckled sussex hatching eggs and chicks in the spring.

Across the top of the Reply page is a Menu, with Font size, Bold, Italics etc. etc . Find the smiley face. Click on that and a drop down menu will appear. The icon with the mountain and moon is the one you'd click on to post pictures. 

Hope this helps.

Rancher

So this is what my reply page looks like. I had already figured out what is what, but couldn't find smileys anywhere. I suppose they don't have them for phones. :barnie

Anyone ever have this ?
My almost 4 year old comet ..
Not eating any food ...nothing in her crop ...she is only eating snow .
I think she is dying of old age ... Something is definitely wrong ..no other symptoms
This does sometimes happens. Why? No one really knows. I would quarantine her and check to see that she's eating and pooping. Others might have other tips.

With Chickens some things are hard to diagnose. Seems to me unless it's affecting a number of birds little study is done. Too some different things present with the same symptoms. Unless a vet sees her you may never know.

I am sorry for your trouble and wish I could be more help.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom