***OKIES in the BYC III ***

It might just be chocolate. I am just learning about Chocolate breeding and some do hatch very dark.
I finally got some fertile eggs again from my Orps, (after 2 weeks of blanks). There were 2 and they both hatched and both look black to me. The chicks from my Cowetta eggs and from the very first eggs from my flock have a few that look like your dark chick. One is most definitely a dark brown though. It sure will be interesting to see what be end up with.

I may have posted this before but I bought a dozen light blue eggs, labeled Ameraucana, at Newcastle auction that hatched out everything but the kitchen sink. I kept 2 - feather legged naked necks!

I was reading and posting questions on the Chocolate Orpington thread and someone posted that in good breeding Chocolate Orpington chicks are almost indistinguishable from Black Orp. chicks. maybe we have some Chocolates. I know from raising LF Cochins that your have to be patient with the heavy breeds.

My daughter loves this hen almost as much as the one we got from Ashtree. Probably favorites because they let her pick them up.

My daughter loves this hen almost as much as the one we got from Ashtree. Probably favorites because they let her pick them up.
Love this picture! And the cool rain boots too.
@Nelli D here is a pic from today of your little boy
Yep, he is a good lookin' boy. We had 26 chicks make it out of the hatcher. The White Wyandotte didn't hatch...they all quit about the time they were put in lockdown. I was bummed about the banties not hatching until I went to the barn this morning. Ying and Yang (the Delaware and Black Birchen bantams that were sharing a nest) had 9 cuties in their cage out of 10 eggs. And two are the Columbian OEGB and two are Serama. Then Fred and Ginger, the Spangled OEGB are laying again....hope she goes broody...she is a very attentive momma..... Guess I'll have to keep the incubators going a little longer...It is time to hatch more quail. I need more for the freezer. And the pheasant are getting bigger. I can now tell the males from the females. I'm sure they would be happier in a bigger pen, but they have to wait for drier weather. They both are enjoying all the weeds from the garden. We got a call from one of our neighbors to the 160 acres in Prague. Seems someone has hidden a tractor back off the road on our land sometime today. Hopefully the county sheriff will be able to find the real owner and catch the thief. Waiting on a call from the deputy. We have great neighbors... they found the gate open,checked out the tracks thru the gate, found the tractor and are meeting the deputy to show him where the tractor is parked. Then will put a new chain and lock on the gate for us. We had not moved cows out there yet because of all the rain.

@ sharkman I got the lumber today to make mine today. I need to put plastic on the floor because it's treated lumber. It has to stay outside when not in use. Once it gets rained on and dries a couple times it will be fine. I'm going to put wheels on it because I used to drag the old one around with the tractor and that's why I need a new one. I'll make it not as high this time, more in line with yours but longer. I leave the birds in quite awhile, so they'll need the room. They stay in the shop with the brood light until they don't need the heat.
I wasn't so serious about this until I got on this site!

I was reading and posting questions on the Chocolate Orpington thread and someone posted that in good breeding Chocolate Orpington chicks  are almost indistinguishable from Black Orp. chicks. maybe we have some Chocolates. I know from raising LF Cochins that your have to be patient with the heavy breeds.

I'm thinking at least one of mine is a mottled, which is what I was wanting. I'd be tempted to part with most of them just because I don't need a bunch of hugely fluffy lovechickies that I'll just get attached to, but if the mottling doesn't come in until later that would be disappointing. Although I could probably rehome the chocolates.

I still haven't figured out that buff color.

Back
Top Bottom