Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

She has a great hiding place
smile.png

She will protect the eggs from the rain.
But can she protect them and herself from predators that would be my concern.

But can she protect them and herself from predators that would be my concern.
I do worry about that, but my chickens take that chance everyday. They have a coop only (no run) and are free to wander where they please. I accept the fact that one day any one of them will die or disappear for good.

Last edited:
Bit of a silly question but.... Do eggs start hatching on day 20 and out on day 21 of do they start hatching on day 21?

Bit of a silly question but.... Do eggs start hatching on day 20 and out on day 21 of do they start hatching on day 21?
hatching can occur anytime from day 19 to day 23. On occasion up to day 25. But generally chicks hatch between day 19 and day 21. There aren't any hard and fast rules.

Ok and what is the dead line for a egg to hatch?
I always wait until day 25 to give up on eggs, or when the hen gives up, whichever comes first. Usually the later. Unless nothing hatches, then at day 25 I either give her new eggs or chicks. I only wait until day 25 because once one hatched that late. I think most people call it quits on day 23. I'm patient....

I do worry about that, but my chickens take that chance everyday. They have a coop only (no run) and are free to wander where they please. I accept the fact that one day any one of them will die or disappear for good.
I have the same set up here my chickens and ducks have their house for night time but I do keep nest boxes open for my broodys so they will be safe. years ago some decided they liked the woods better and they didn't come home. Now they brood and hatch their little ones in safety. Then they take them out into the big world and teach them the ropes.

So disappointed in momma Smokey tonight. She was up on the roost with a few of her babies and she was pecking at some of them, probably the cockerels. Guess she's done being a momma. They will be five weeks old next Tuesday, but they are so small still. They were runoff the roost and it was sad to see them huddled on the floor without her. I am tempted to go back out and see if she stayed on the roost or went back down, but I'm pretty sure I will just be disappointed again and find her still up on the roost. Thankfully Topsy is still spending her nights in the best box with her babies.

Back
Top Bottom