Old Shed Conversion???

I think it is up on cinder blocks. I can see the dirt through a knothole in the floor, but it is about 6 inches down. It all felt very solid, and not creaky at all.

Oh that's great! I mean I'm sure some people would go as far as to say you should have it professionally inspected, but to each his own. Like I mentioned, mine was an old playhouse and there definitely was some wood rot in areas. When I reassembled and modified it, I cut off anything that was excessively rotten and patched it as needed. I also sealed the exposed wood with olympic waterguard. We don't live in a super damp climate but if your shed has been standing that long in the PNW and is still in decent shape, I'd think you don't have a ton to worry about.

Ventilation is also very important for this reason because you don't want to leave any ideal circumstances for mold to thrive. Some people opt to raise their coop off the ground by 1-2 ft or more and it becomes additional space for their chickens while also helping provide airflow around the coop, and making it difficult for predators to break into.

If you can, post your progress as you work on it :) I love seeing coop conversions!!

Back
Top Bottom