Olive Egger with a mohawk?

srhmchlk

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2015
WI

I tried so hard to get a good pic, but they are running around like crazy right now. This is one of 3, 6 week old olive eggers I have. They all look the same, and to me look like welsummers, and according to the hatchery is one of the possible breeds they are using that one may receive. However they all look like they have mohawks, and they have been that way since they lost their baby feathers on their heads. They don't stand up, just looks like they have a giant feather or two sitting on their heads.

Anyone else seen this before? I'm starting to doubt they are an olive egg producing mix. What is this mohawk thing?

I will try to get a better pic later today.

I thought olive eggers were not a breed, but any sort of mixed hen that produces olive green eggs.

They do look like Wesummers.. if I had to guess I'd say they also have some crested cream legbar (blue egg layer) in them as well. I say this because they have that delicate body shape that the young ccl's have, plus the crest. Just my guess.

They are very cute! When they start laying, could you post a picture of the eggs? I'd like to see the color!

That's very interesting.

Ordered from mypetchicken, they state for olive egger mix, "We are now producing an assortment of beautiful olive egg layers. (We're keeping some of our breeding secrets under wraps, but we can say we are using Marans, Cream Legbars, Welsummers, and Blue Ameraucanas in the mix!). There is no guarantee which of the breeding programs your chicks will originate from, but you will be delighted by the varied color patterns of these chicks. Your chicks may have that adorable chipmunk pattern or even the black with yellow and white spots!"

Would lean toward a cream legbar and welsummer cross I suppose. The crest surprised me, I think it's funny! Am happy they will be keeping that. At first I thought it was a temporary look as their feathers were coming in.

Don't think they will lay until spring, but will post when they do.

Thanks for all the input! Am happy I can in fact expect dark green eggs. Have not decided if I will keep all 3 yet. My total chicken count is at 9. I don't really want 9. Stupid chicken math.

Agree that's showing CCL blood, crests are partially dominant so they basically get smaller each time you breed them to a non-crested bird. Hopefully you get nice Olive colored eggs from them.

Back
Top Bottom