Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

At first, when I began free motion, it looked okay on front but was nesting on the back. And yes, new chrome topstitch needle, newly wound bobbin, checked how I threaded it, full small cone of Isacord thread top and in bobbin.
It began to not pull up the bobbin thread to the top, then when it did and I started quilting, it didn't connect with the top thread at all to make stitches. What is weird is that I tried just stitching with a regular foot and feed dogs up (when they worked) and it did just fine. I have no idea what the heck is wrong. The machine has almost no time on it, but was not used for a couple of years, just sat in the table with the cover on it.
That tells me your tension is off somewhere. It can be frustrating when your machine isn't working properly especially when it feels like you've done everything. At any rate I'd you're free motion the feed dogs aren't an issue. I'd suspect bobbin tension

Before I crash, I did find that something simple was incorrect. I had the flat side of the needle in the machine facing forward and it's supposed to go backward so I changed it around and will try sewing with it in the morning. The feed dogs are either now disconnected or broken, but at least they're down for me to free motion (if the needle direction change fixed the issue, that is,and it will now pick up bobbin thread).
Two quilt shops near me have closed since the Covid debacle so I'll have to call one farther away to see if they service Juki machines. I ordered a ruler foot and a free motion foot from Ken's in Alabama and they will be here this week, but I may have to put them aside until I can get this fixed. That's the problem owning a computerized machine around these boonies, no one to repair it. At least with a mechanical machine, you can do a few more things without fear of killing it.

Last edited:
Before I crash, I did find that something simple was incorrect. I had the flat side of the needle in the machine facing forward and it's supposed to go backward so I changed it around and will try sewing with it in the morning. The feed dogs are either now disconnected or broken, but at least they're down for me to free motion (if the needle direction change fixed the issue, that is,and it will now pick up bobbin thread).
Two quilt shops near me have closed since the Covid debacle so I'll have to call one farther away to see if they service Juki machines. I ordered a ruler foot and a free motion foot from Ken's in Alabama and they will be here this week, but I may have to put them aside until I can get this fixed. That's the problem owning a computerized machine around these boonies, no one to repair it. At least with a mechanical machine, you can do a few more things without fear of killing it.
No I get it. I don't even know where I would take my machine to get fixed if anything were ever to break. Glad you were able to fix your problem!

I finally found two articles after much searching that said this needle should be put in w/flat side to the rear, though it was not mentioned in most places talking about needle replacement or even in the stupid manual. I did that and now, it free motions without nesting on the back or thread breaking, BUT it sounds scrapey, if you know what I mean, like something needs oiling in there. And the feed dogs are not working still-plastic part broke inside or got disconnected somehow. I'll have to find a repair guy somewhere. That sound is annoying. This machine has almost no time on it, I'd consider it new, but the plastic feed dog lever/mechanism is already giving me problems. That's part of the problem with newer machines, all the plastic rather than metal for the sake of lighter weight machines.

I finally found two articles after much searching that said this needle should be put in w/flat side to the rear, though it was not mentioned in most places talking about needle replacement or even in the stupid manual. I did that and now, it free motions without nesting on the back or thread breaking, BUT it sounds scrapey, if you know what I mean, like something needs oiling in there. And the feed dogs are not working still-plastic part broke inside or got disconnected somehow. I'll have to find a repair guy somewhere. That sound is annoying. This machine has almost no time on it, I'd consider it new, but the plastic feed dog lever/mechanism is already giving me problems. That's part of the problem with newer machines, all the plastic rather than metal for the sake of lighter weight machines.
Very true. I love my old Kenmore. I've got a newer singer but I never use it

You won't believe this. I have really great news! I have a new machine now AND my Juki is fixed! The repair called me this morning, still in business after all these years since I kept his card from a now-closed down quilt shop! He is certified in Janome, Babylock and Brother, but works on Juki, said he'd check out the feed dogs, but that he just can't get Juki parts for some reason. While talking, Don, the repair man, said he had a Janome Memory Craft 6500 that he'd just serviced with lots of feet that looked new and if I was interested, I could have it for $400. So, he sold it to me for much less than he could have gotten for it, plus there's more....today is an example of there still being kind people in the world. 😯 He said he would oil and check out my Janome, see if he could figure out about the feed dog lever, if it was just off track or broken.
So, we met up about 20 minutes from my house, I bought his Janome, he gave me a brand new in-the-box Sew Steady 24x24 table that fits a Janome 300E because he didn't need it and maybe I could use it. Not turning down a $160 acrylic extension table though the 6500 came with its own sturdy one. About 4 hours later, he called to tell my my Juki was ready to go, that he oiled it, checked it out and fixed the feed dogs! And he asked if I liked the new machine (which I do, better than the Juki). He had told me he'd take it back if I didn't like the 6500 and I know he'd be able to get more for it. The Juki's feed dogs were just off the cam or track or whatever. And this is the kindness part. I said wonderful, thank you so much, what do I owe you for that? He said....nothing. Um, what? I said no way, I need to give you something for that! So, we'll meet up tomorrow or Thursday when he comes down my way, get my Juki and I will give him something for fixing my feed dogs and oiling up the machine, some $$ and probably a dozen farm fresh eggs to boot.
What a blessing he's been to me today! ❤️ By the way, he sort of laughed and said it does sound like a Juki, LOL, but he oiled it up and all. It just not as quiet as most Janome machines. I bet it's better than it was before he got hold of it, though!
IMG_0882.JPG

Last edited:
Okay, this Janome 6500 doesn't love any of my high quality poly threads, my Isacord or my Glide, apparently. At first, I thought something was wrong with the bobbin case, but it looks new. When I lower the needle to catch the bobbin thread to bring it to the top, it will just catch and hang up down there and I can't get it to even bring the needle back up, have to dismantle the plate and pull out shredded thread on the left hand side of the bobbin case. If I switch to my Gutermann cotton thread, it seems to like it a lot better. I'm not 100% sure it's the thread or the bobbin/bobbin case. New bobbin, new needle, nicely wound bobbin with the same wt thread as the top. I quilted on my 7700 a lot with Isacord and Glide, never an issue. The bobbin case also seems to bounce a lot more than it should at times. But, sometimes, I can just glide through a free motion motif with no issues. Mysterious! I have a lot of Isacord threads and Glide threads, dang it!

As far as my Juki HZL G220 goes, I got a free motion foot made for that machine plus my new ruler foot for it will be here on Monday and in a couple of weeks, the custom acrylic extension table I ordered will be shipped and I'll see which machine I like free motion quilting on better, piece with the other one. I probably should have just kept my 7700 and not had to go through this mess now that I know a repair guy! But, we'll see. I'm so rusty on my free motion, but I'll get into the groove again. Maybe my Juki will appreciate my strong poly threads more than the 6500 does.

What threads do you ladies use and which give your machine trouble?

Strange that you ask now. My last machine is up for sale. I just finished a large lap quilt that took two different machines and hours of troubleshooting to get done and I put the machine on the market. I may get another one day, but it will have to be a better one than I had. I see the message you left in private, but it won't allow me to access it for some reason (ETA: Finally, I got in so replied) This is the one I just finished. I'm sort of over it at the moment, LOL.
IMG_1994.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom