Our Finished Chikken Cottages and Runs

Quote:
Yep there is hardwire cloth all around the bottom in 3 rows going up and I am adding more so that it goes 3/4 the way up. I learned that lesson the hard way when we had an owl attack that killed 4 chicks. It layed on the ground and reached in with it's talons (?).

Thanks so much for looking out for me though!

Quote:
Yep there is 1/4" hardwire cloth all around the bottom and we are also putting it on until it goes 3/4 the way up.

The cost was around $600 for everything because I picked up a lot of things on Craigslist & FreeCycle of people's left over 2x4's, trim and scraps. I did have to buy some of the 2x4x8's and managed to get them on sale for $2 each. I also HIGHLY recommend calling lumber yards for the deeply discounted 'imperfect' treated wood pieces. I found a ton of plywood pieces that way. I gave really detailed info on the building process on my BYC page too.

Quote:
I kept some of the natural vegetation that was already there- a tree stump, small boulder, a small raspberry bush and some kind of flowering plant. I've noticed that all of my silkies have literally no interest in destroying my flowers thankfully.

I have 3 other Tasmanian Devil-like chickens that literally destroy any petunia or flower they come in contact with. grrrrr. So if I ever let them out, I have temporary chickenwire cages that I put together that cover all the petunia baskets and hostas in the yard.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom