Peacock coop

bradleyscott

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Southeast oklahoma
I'm getting ready to start build my first peacock coop. Does anyone have any suggestions should it be the same as a chicken coop or is there something different I should do? Also how big should the pen should be for two peafowl? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for all the pictures. I was planning about a 450 square ft pen for two peafowl so I guess I'm good there. But im still a little undecided on the coop part how much space do they need there? Sorry for the simple questions but I would like to get it right the first time.

Thanks for all the pictures. I was planning about a 450 square ft pen for two peafowl so I guess I'm good there. But im still a little undecided on the coop part how much space do they need there? Sorry for the simple questions but I would like to get it right the first time.
My coop is almost 210 ft sq, and this size will depend on your climate I guess, do you have a harsh winter in your area usually? If you can't let them out during winter then its better to give them more space in their coop, i'm just throwing ideas, we never had harsh winter here.

Maybe you already know it, but a peacock can mate with 3 or 4 hens, so you can add more hens in the future, and you will already have enough space for them.

Since you have not completed your profile we have no idea where you live and what your climate is like.
he.gif
If you live in a cold climate our advice is going to be different than if you live in the semi-tropics. The pen size info will stay the same, but coops may be different.

Here in the heartland open coops are fine for Blue birds, many in this area do not provide coops at all, letting their birds free range and roost in the trees all year round. However, Green birds here would need shelter and extra heat either in the coop or heated roosts in the coop.

Sorry. live in southeastern oklahoma. The winters aren't to bad but they will probably need something. Would they use nesting boxes like a chicken or do they need to be different. I wish I could free range them but nieghbor dogs would most likely kill them. I will complete my profile tonight so everyone can have my info.

Peahens will lay wherever there is a little depression in the ground. Last year I had a broody peahen that was laying in the corner of the coop in the woodchips. All I did for her was to put a piece of plywood over her area so she would not be disturbed by the other birds in that pen and keep the other birds roosting above her from crapping on her. I guess I also gave her breakfast in bed as she got closer to hatch day so she would not have to get off the eggs to eat, but that is a little over the top.

Some people will provide tubs of hay, but most people do not do much of anything in the way of nest boxes.

As far as a coop, if you have Blues an open loafing shed will do fine in your area, if you get Greens you should probably enclose it.

I'm not sure what I have lol. They're only a few months old. I'm not even sure what sex they are. I think they are probably greens because one of them has a lot of green on its neck. The other is mostly brown.

I'm not sure what I have lol. They're only a few months old. I'm not even sure what sex they are. I think they are probably greens because one of them has a lot of green on its neck. The other is mostly brown.

Attach some pics, and we may be able to tell you what you have. If they were a green or a high % spalding (green x blue) you would most likely have been told that and charged a lot more. Young blues generally start out with a neck that looks more green than blue, as they mature the blue comes in more and the green goes away, a mostly brown bird sounds like a probable IB hen. If they have green blood you will often see yellow on their faces like this.

It sounds like with your climate you probably won't have to lock them in very often or for very long at a time so a three sided shed will probably work, facing it away from winter winds. 10 x 10 would be big enough to give them shelter and be easy to keep clean. As long as they are IB you shouldn't have to provide extra heat.

Back
Top Bottom