Picking A Stud For My Arabian Mare, to Use Foal For Dressage!

I HIGHLY suggest HG Esquire. His owner is a wonderful woman to work with not to mention "E" stamps his foals with his personality, trainability and looks

Her website is Gainey Cornerstone arabians and sporthorses

I'm a Warmblood gal so don't know much about Arabian bloodlines but Bonne Vivant is trained and campaigned out of the barn where I board so I can speak to him specifically. He is a lovely horse - stunning to look at - and with a very nice temperament. He's very friendly and from what I know from his rider he is quite easy to work with. He seems to be very trainable and is doing well in his dressage career. I believe he's now training and showing 4th level. I've only been to one show with him but he was very well behaved in the warm up and in the ring. Like I said, I know very little about Arabian bloodlines but in terms of his temperament and trainability he seems to be a very good horse.

jettgirl24- Nice to know he has a good temperament!

Babyblue2- is there anything specific you dislike about Domino? Or do you just think Bonne Vivant is the best choice?

"
E" is beautiful. Hmm....

I keep hearing that 'you want to pick a stallion that complements the mare, who is strong where she is weak' and i would like opinions as to what Topaz's weaknesses are and who would complement her. Thanks!

Domino seems to have ever so slightly shorter natural stride then Vivant, Vivant has ever so slightly better build to me. I would personally push to have the mare registered. In the day and age of simple blood tests it should not be so hard to nail things down. As a personal whim I am not a big fan of light colored horses because coincidentally I have dealt with more skin issues with the light colored horses, particularly the grays.

Id get the papers together from the mare and go ahead and give the studs owners and then the breed association a call. Explain the situation and say you would like to get blood work to prove DNA. You may get some arguing, you may end up having to pay for the blood work your self. Are blue eyes considered a fault in Arabs? Though I think your mare is very lovely. I don't know I don't own any. If so that may be why the studs owner is being a pain over the DNA verification. It can be done, you just may have to push the issue.

yes blue eyes are a fault in arabians but they still can be shown just not in halter.

Are the papers signed? If not the first thing you will have to do is get her sires owner to sign the papers. IF they wont sign them then call AHA but I am not sure that will do any good unless by chance he is already DNA'd and on file. Even then I am apprehensive they will do anything. I think (not sure) that if you cant get the sires owner to sign you can register her as half arabian but I am not 100% on that.

I do know that registering her will be costly since she is over 6 months old but sometimes during the year they have half price sales on registry for older horses.

You can also go to the AHA website that may answer some of your lingering questions. I hope this helps a little and good luck. :)

I wanted to add "E" is a champion in sport horse in hand, he does hunter over fences and I do believe some dressage. He is an awesome horse with an equally awesome owner.

As a personal whim I am not a big fan of light colored horses because coincidentally I have dealt with more skin issues with the light colored horses, particularly the grays.
I just read about grays and melanomas. That is awful! Why do people even breed gray horses? It would be terrible to have that happen when the horse is 14, but at 3 it would be heartbreaking. Especially if it happens in the nostrils, like one case i read about.

Not all grays have the issue. Like Hypp and Olws in the stock horse breeds you can test for and not breed animals that come up positive. Eventually medical science will get to the point where all genetically predisposed cancers can be caught. The grays I have cared for that had melanomas, well it was heartbreaking. Then others lived to late 30's with no issues.

Not all grays have the issue. Like Hypp and Olws in the stock horse breeds you can test for and not breed animals that come up positive. Eventually medical science will get to the point where all genetically predisposed cancers can be caught. The grays I have cared for that had melanomas, well it was heartbreaking. Then others lived to late 30's with no issues.

x2

I have a flea-bitten gray Arab/Saddlebred mare. When I bought her as a 7 yr old, she had a nickel-sized melanoma to the left of her vulva. She is now 20 yrs old, endurance and competitive trail champ and that melanoma has increased just SLIGHTLY in size with another smaller than pea-sized on the underside of her tail. They have never given her any problems and my vet said to leave them alone.

Percherons and Thoroughbreds are also prone to melanomas (due to a lot of grays in the breeds) but by and large they don't cause issues.

And gray genes are dominant. Though bay Arabians have been popular and now outnumber gray Arabs, it would be like trying to breed non-black Tennessee Walkers. They're just too common.

Back
Top Bottom