Pine shavings killing chicks?

Should I put two waterers in there one with fresh and one with the electrolyte/probiotic? or do they not need that electrolyte/probiotic all the time?

I have attached pictures of the setup to the original post

The chick in my other post is still alive, that's why I made it a separate post, sorry if it's confusing.
I always have 2 waterers for chicks - fresh and treated if needed. Electrolytes should only be given when you first get the chicks for about 3 days. Probiotics are good for the gut and can be given at all times. But, it's not needed.
Chicks are sort of fragile and can die without warning.

Usually for chicks, I use the large pine shavings vs fine. That way if they are eating some they aren't able to eat too many. Usually they are just curious about them and not really eating them.
Are you feeding them anything other than chick feed? If so, grit must be provided. Is food and water available 24/7?

Pasty butt can occur from either being too hot, too cold, or from shipping stress. They definitely don't like being cleaned, but it's a necessity.

food and water are available 24/7. Because I thought they might have eaten some shavings I gave them a nibble of grit from my hand yesterday but they didn’t get much.

Any tips on cleaning the poop caked on the vent? I tried running the vent under Luke warm water and using my (gloved) hands to kind of wash/pull it off. Seemed effective but the chick I did clean was pretty badly distressed afterwards

food and water are available 24/7. Because I thought they might have eaten some shavings I gave them a nibble of grit from my hand yesterday but they didn’t get much.

Any tips on cleaning the poop caked on the vent? I tried running the vent under Luke warm water and using my (gloved) hands to kind of wash/pull it off. Seemed effective but the chick I did clean was pretty badly distressed afterwards
A warm cloth held over the bum to loosen followed with some olive oil or warmed coconut oil on a qtip works. If it's a little bit more crusty, put the oil on first to loosen then wash with a warm cloth. I also leave a dab of oil on the vent when done. They don't like it, but you have more control over the water with just a warm cloth.

I don't think any of the below are what caused the chick's deaths, but a few things to consider:

1) You mentioned pasty butt issues. You have both a heat lamp and a brooder plate. How hot is it in the area of the brooder WITHOUT the lamp on? Chicks need to be able to cool off as well as warm up, and pasty butt is often linked to hotter brooding conditions. Just saw your other post. I'd drop the ambient temperatures even more if possible, and that might mean no heat lamp.

2) You mentioned giving them a little grit. I'd continue to provide grit either in a small amount in a dish, or sprinkled (just a pinch) on their food maybe twice a week. Is it possible that a chick ingested too many shavings? Yes, chicks can gorge on all sorts of things (including grit), so best to have grit available so if they do eat some shavings they can break them down in their digestive system.

3) As far as supplements you'll probably get a variety of answers. I think 1 waterer is fine, or 1 supplemented and 1 without is fine too. Electrolytes aren't meant to be given long term so if it's been a week or so (assuming you got these as new chicks from a store or mail order) then I'd discontinue use of the electrolytes completely. Personally I use Nutri-Drench instead but again it's not for long term use so the chicks only get it for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom