plants/grass in duck area?

mega

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2017
we have 2 ducks. they live in the backyard in a fenced in area. they have a pool and a house for shelter. the grass is dead, it is all dirt/mud. they keep escaping to eat the grass. they love greens! what can we put in there so they can always have access to greens? something that will grow fast or we can juat buy to put in there

we have 2 ducks. they live in the backyard in a fenced in area. they have a pool and a house for shelter. the grass is dead, it is all dirt/mud. they keep escaping to eat the grass. they love greens! what can we put in there so they can always have access to greens? something that will grow fast or we can juat buy to put in there
In the winter I give mine alfalfa and hay, but they eat some and turn the rest into a nest. They also love lettuce and other greens from the garden. I plant a mix of grasses and legumes in my pastures for my birds and it doesn't take them long to turn it into a moonscape:hit So I move them frequently and try to regrow the area:oops:

Edited to add: It takes about six months to grow back enough to be re-used.

Did they destroy the grass and converted into a puddle of mud? If yes, then it will be hard to do anything about it. Perhaps you can improve drainage.

I have 5 ducks that are not fenced (yet) and roam around freely. They did not manage to kill grass. They nibble on it, but not much, they rather scout around for better tasting food and weeds. There are some weeds you can try growing, but I'm afraid they will eat them before they start growing.

Unfortunately in my experience, unless you can free range them or have a massive area with fencing your grass is going to turn to mud faster than it grows. I've tried flower, veggies, bushes they chew on all of them. I suppose you could buy those rolls I've grass that landscapers use but I think they're really expensive and the ducks will destroy them.

Unfortunately in my experience, unless you can free range them or have a massive area with fencing your grass is going to turn to mud faster than it grows. I've tried flower, veggies, bushes they chew on all of them. I suppose you could buy those rolls I've grass that landscapers use but I think they're really expensive and the ducks will destroy them.
Takes them about two days to tear through the straw roll. They are proficient diggers.

Takes them about two days to tear through the straw roll. They are proficient diggers.

They sure are.. I've spent more money than I like to think about in trying to make the pen look pretty and have some source of greenery... I think the longest thing last a week and that was white (the only available option) stones around the pools. Yes pools, because everyone know you have to make sure four ducks have two large kiddy pools. :hmm

The number has been reduced to one in an attempt to lower the amount of water that gets everywhere.

They sure are.. I've spent more money than I like to think about in trying to make the pen look pretty and have some source of greenery... I think the longest thing last a week and that was white (the only available option) stones around the pools. Yes pools, because everyone know you have to make sure four ducks have two large kiddy pools. :hmm

The number has been reduced to one in an attempt to lower the amount of water that gets everywhere.
I pasture all of my birds together, so I haven't figured out what the ducks don't like--but between ducks, chickens and turkeys, I have to move them every couple months and they totally clear the section... But that too is good as I have some invasive species of plants out there and what I get about six months after they've moved is a nice lush green pasture. also I have multiple swales running through my pastures, so I put their pool in one of those and the water goes where its supposed to.

One should be enough. They will devastate the plants in or around it, though, so you might just want to place large gravel around. You can even try sowing grass on it. Ducks will fertilize it with splashing water and droppings, which will make it grow fine, the only problem is, ducks will most likely eat the grass before it comes to life. :)

I pasture all of my birds together, so I haven't figured out what the ducks don't like--but between ducks, chickens and turkeys, I have to move them every couple months and they totally clear the section... But that too is good as I have some invasive species of plants out there and what I get about six months after they've moved is a nice lush green pasture. also I have multiple swales running through my pastures, so I put their pool in one of those and the water goes where its supposed to.

Ah. I have chickens ducks and a goose eventually geese in the run until early afternoon because my two cocker spaniels would just love a chicken or duck snack and they get free run of the yard during the morning. But once the dogs are away the birds all free range.

Back
Top Bottom