PLEASE HELP ASAP (PICTURE) NOT SURE WHAT TO DO, ONLY SECOND HATCH

AKyardbirds

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 4, 2014
Hi, this is only my second hatch and I've never experienced this! This silkie was struggling for a long time. We broke away part of it's shell, kept his membrane in tact but moist after he pipped and didn't do anything for 18 hours. We tried to follow the instructions on the when to assist page. Well he finally hatched this morning around 7 I noticed he was totally out of his shell, but he was just laying on his back. I figured he was just resting after his stressful night but when I got back from bringing my son to school I noticed he seems to still be attached to whatever is in the egg? He has a little "Cord" and theres blood, I'm not sure if it's a lot or if it's normal or what to do but he's still on his back. I'm including a photo, but I am worried since he's been like that for a long time and I don't want to lose him..

What do I do??

If you can click on it to see it larger, I took the best pic I could through the glass with a cell phone.

Please help, I am very worried about him :( he's our only silkie that's hatched so far

Ok but considering the urgency of my post, do you have any advice pertaining to the chick that is in there currently in trouble?

I am very inexperienced in hatching, only on my first incubation. I read this yesterday https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 and at the bottom it has inf on chicks with things still attached. I hope this helps your little one.
Thanks, yeah I read that but didn't find specific things on what to do with it just being the cord. I've left it alone and finally turned over on it's belly and is trying to walk, just dragging the shell around. I figure since nothing bad has happened maybe it'll just dry up on it's own and he'll figure it out...luckily he's the only one hatched right now so he can kind of move at his own pace, there is another one working on getting out now!

Thank u!

Please note that I'm not an expert. I have hatched many batches with fairly good success.

The don't open til after is great advice. It can really reduce problems getting out of the shell for the 'batch' but may mean one doesn't make it because that one needed intervention.

It looks like you have a little giant with the plastic windows on top.

I think turning him over is good. I've had them 'dry' to the wire and need help.

I sometimes worry about the shell getting caught and pulling too much on the cord, so I'll take scissors and cut the shell off where there is no blood and back alittle away from the blood. When and if I do anything. I come in from one of the windows. I don't open the whole incubator. I have also plugged up the 'bottom' holes on my little giant so I can pour water across the whole bottom and keep the humidity high. When I open after I'm done messing I normally pour warm water (closer to evaportation point) in the bottom to help keep the humidity high.

Some chicks just won't make it. But you have to do what you think is best. Reading here is a great way to form your educated opinion. The next step is try out those actions and notice the results (match them up to the reading as well).

Good luck.

Ok breathe! The cord is sort of the yolk bag that be absorbed, or it was attached to it. that links to the membrane that is still in the egg, and the membrane will harden and dry like glue.

I would cut the cord where it attaches to the egg (not the chick) as long as it looks dead/black/brown and not active veins in it.
Then inspect the cord closer, if you can snip it higher up then you should - be very careful not to snip too lose to the navel, you really cannot afford to hit a vein.

if there is any bleeding, dab it with cold water and then with cornstarch to stop the bleeding.
clean the area every day by putting anti-biotic ointment on it like neosporin WITHOUT PAIN RELEIVER
it will be important for this chick to get ointment every day until the navel closes completely. otherwise you risk an infection in the belly area.

Do you have any other pips in the incubator?
When there are pips, do not open the incubator. A humidity drop can/will cause the pipping chick to get dried out. If there are no pips, it is safe to open the incubator and take him out.

Thank you everyone, I went to the store and he was walking around but struggling due to the egg he was carrying, I scooped him up really quick barely opening the incubator and snipped his cord closest to the shell (it looked dried out there so I figured it was ok) he is now running around happy and another chick hatched extremely fast while I was gone afterwards, all on it's own.. We currently have two more that pipped since then so they are all being left ALONE haha

Back
Top Bottom