pressure cooking a rooster

I don't recommend using a pressure cooker, unless he was a really young roo. I did that once with an older bird and instead of getting tender, the darn thing shrunk up and got tougher and tougher. We couldn't eat him, and neither would the dog!

I've had the best luck with a very slow simmer, followed by a couple of hours of soaking in the water as it cools off. You can also let it sit in the broth in the fridge overnight. The meat just falls off the bones.

Kathy in Texas
www.ChickenTrackin.com

We used the pressure cooker on an old hen and she was just fine. She cooked for about an hour. I don't know what weight, mine has the jiggle thing on top and it isn't adjustable. It's just a one weight fits all kind of pot.

so, how did you wind up cooking him? I have a 4 mo old, mean rooster in the pressure cooker right now,,,first time I have cooked a rooster. I soaked him in buttermilk all night. Can't wait to see if it's tender, Im thinking about 40 min at 10 lb pressure should do it.
I didn't want to kill him but he was fighting the hens and tearing out their feathers. I sure missed him crowing this a.m.
sad.png

It may work as it's a moist heat but I'd think it would become tough. With a slight simmer of birds if you let the water come to a boil or even heavy simmer the meat gets tough. I'd think the same would happen in a pressure cooker. Crock pot cooking would be better. Slow cooking is key with older birds. Cooking methods are determined by age of bird. Broiler- around 14 weeks, fryer- up to around 20 weeks, roasters- up to a year then stew birds.

I love my pressure cooker for older birds. I've done a 4 year old rooster and it was fall apart, flavorful, made the best enchiladas. The meat was tougher than a CX, but I think that's to be expected, and not so tough it was inedible. Just had some good tooth to it, like al dente pasta. This is how I cook most of our birds we process..turns this

into this...

I put the whole bird in the cooker. Add water, salt, pepper, rough chop some onion and celery, maybe carrot or pepper if I have some on hand. Bring up to pressure and cook for about 40 minutes, depending on the size of the bird. Shred the meat when cool, and you've also got some wonderful broth to go with it.

My Honey and oldest son just went pheasant hunting and got 4 birds. I cooked them pretty much the same way (Honey had skinned them, so roasting was out) and they were amazing! We ate just the meat the first night, than last night the rest became enchiladas (can you tell we like enchiladas around here?).

My Honey and oldest son just went pheasant hunting and got 4 birds. I cooked them pretty much the same way (Honey had skinned them, so roasting was out)

This might be a little morbid, but I wonder if you could take a chicken, skin it, and put its skin on the pheasant. A streaky bacon 'skin' is another option, but that might flavour the pheasant too much. I once tried putting some bacon underneath a chicken's leg skin, to help it not overcook while the breast was finishing cooking. It did make the chicken meat salty, savoury, and generally bacony, but the nitrates tinted the flesh the colour of undercooked meat. Combined with the softer texture, it was a little off-putting. I ate it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom