pressure cooking a rooster

You probably could, but for us the whole point is not plucking. you'd have to pluck the chicken in this scenario, and I'm not sure that's much more work than plucking a pheasant and leaving it's own skin on in the first place
hmm.png

I don't recommend using a pressure cooker, unless he was a really young roo. I did that once with an older bird and instead of getting tender, the darn thing shrunk up and got tougher and tougher. We couldn't eat him, and neither would the dog!

I've had the best luck with a very slow simmer, followed by a couple of hours of soaking in the water as it cools off. You can also let it sit in the broth in the fridge overnight. The meat just falls off the bones.

Kathy in Texas
www.ChickenTrackin.com

Not really sure how you managed that,, pressure cookers were designed as a faster way to cook foods, but had the added benefit of tenderizing tougher meats. Of course you MUST add a small amount of water to the cooker as you are basicly steam cooking under extreme pressure. I've been pressure cooking various meats for 30 plus years and in my experience the longer you cook it the more tender it gets,, even to the point of mush if you over do it (fell asleep, lol)

I'm reviving this thread while waiting on my cockerel to cook out in my pressure cooker. I only did breast and legs though, not the whole bird.

Back
Top Bottom