Protecting a wood floor?

Pics

TwoShepherds

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 4, 2019
Southeast TN
So, here I am asking silly newbie questions again. You all have been so much help in my search for a suitable coop (I posted the link to my previous thread below). Unfortunately, I can't make my own coop right now--I have two children under 4, and I feel like a large-scale (for me) building project would be too much to take on.

So, I'm considering buying a 7 ft x 12 ft Amish-made coop that can be delivered and placed in my fence. My question is about protecting the wood floor. They want an extra $370 to include an epoxy floor. I'm thinking I can just put down my own linoleum to save some money. I've read on the forum some of you use a rubberized coating? What would you suggest?--get the upgrade or fix the floor myself. Thank you to everyone in advance. Without you all, I would without a doubt make all the wrong choices!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ou-cant-build-it.1301498/page-7#post-21230756

Last edited:
It all depends on how you want to budget your money.
The $370 option is good but pricey. Linoleum is less cash, and can be replaced when worn out. There is a product called Black Jack, and one called White Jack. It is a paint on type of application.
Decide what is best for you and your budget. I know that the coop is already a BUNCH OF KA$H. I am also wondering if it has sufficient ventilation. Seen some of the Amish products, and they are fine craftsmanship, just have not seen a coop.
It is not that difficult to add ventilation, should it be needed.:thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I would use black jack 57 or 1 piece of vinyl and hold it down with 1 x 2's around the edge, in case you ever need to change it.

I used black jack 57 it holds up well.

20170416_130051.jpg

So, here I am asking silly newbie questions again. You all have been so much help in my search for a suitable coop (I posted the link to my previous thread below). Unfortunately, I can't make my own coop right now--I have two children under 3, and I feel like a large-scale (for me) building project would be too much to take on.

So, I'm considering buying a 7 ft x 12 ft Amish-made coop that can be delivered and placed in my fence. My question is about protecting the wood floor. They want an extra $370 to include an epoxy floor. I'm thinking I can just put down my own linoleum to save some money. I've read on the forum some of you use a rubberized coating? What would you suggest?--get the upgrade or fix the floor myself. Thank you to everyone in advance. Without you all, I would without a doubt make all the wrong choices!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ou-cant-build-it.1301498/page-7#post-21230756
No question is silly on here I've learned! 2 years later I'm still asking questions Best wishes.

Either linoleum or Black Jack would work fine. Obviously the cost difference is mainly for labor, so up to you if that price is worth it to save some labor, or if you'd rather save a little money and do it yourself.

I used Black Jack 57, it does have a long curing time and needs dry, warm weather for optimal application so if you want to go that route plan accordingly.

It all depends on how you want to budget your money.
The $370 option is good but pricey. Linoleum is less cash, and can be replaced when worn out. There is a product called Black Jack, and one called White Jack. It is a paint on type of application.
Decide what is best for you and your budget. I know that the coop is already a BUNCH OF KA$H. I am also wondering if it has sufficient ventilation. Seen some of the Amish products, and they are fine craftsmanship, just have not seen a coop.
It is not that difficult to add ventilation, should it be needed.:thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Thanks! Unless there's some great advantage to the epoxy floor add-on, I think I'm leaning toward putting down either linoleum or the paint on product.

Here is what they say about ventilation:

"Two prop-open ventilation slots and two gable vents come standard with your purchase. The ventilation slots on the back of the coop are covered on the inside with sturdy half-inch vinyl coated black hardware cloth wire, to keep out predators, rodents and wild birds. All these vents, in combination with the windows, provide plenty of ventilation, which is essential to avian health."

Does that seem sufficient? I don't trust those websites to tell me the truth anymore! Though I'm trying to keep the cost down, I can add an extra window for $100 if I have to. I'm planning to make a fairly decent size run, and let them run free in the yard at times, so I assume the coop will be used primarily at night.

Here's a picture.

Craftsman712-5.jpg

I used Black Jack 57, it does have a long curing time and needs dry, warm weather for optimal application so if you want to go that route plan accordingly.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up! We definitely have the warm weather covered. We get our fair share of wet days, though. I'll have to research that!

Back
Top Bottom