Raising Catfish in a barrel!! 11-03-2011 UPDATE!!

Huh. Interesting idea. I have a 1,000 gallon above ground pond for about 16 pet goldfish and shebunkins. I also have a 150 gallon horse trough set up for fish--including biological filter--in case I have to quarantine new ones or have to treat a sick one. I was thinking of using it to put any baby fish that survive in the big pond so I can give them away. Once they get to a certain size catching them in the big pond is crazy hard. I bet that horse trough would be nice for catfish as there is a lot more surface and bottom space than a 55 gallon barrel. Personally, I don't like to eat catfish but can they be sold?
interview.gif
Do they have any specific temperature needs?

Good idea!This spring im going to be stocking this huge pond in my backyard with flathead minnows and then the next year ill introduce some catfish and hopefully largemouth bass there once the minnows are settled in.Ill fish for the cats during summer and icefish for the bass during the winter.

Quote:
the UofA says 5 to 9 per square foot of water... i don't like to have them that crowded but they do...

Read again, that is probably 5-9 per square foot of Water SURFACE to ensure adequate oxygen exchange. With the density you are proposing the fish will need a lot of air and of equal importance a lot of water flowing through the barrel to flush waste and uneaten food.
Get a test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrate and nitrite build up, is your water chlorinated?

Got that Stuff. Everyone wait til sat or sunday eve for pics.It will amaze you. My redwoyms and mealwoyms are housed in my lab/bathroom inthe back of the house. The catfish will occupy that space. We havent rebuilt that room yet,but If its any decision,I dont want to lose my lab to DW. Its a shower,no tub,you know those fiberglassy things.

I will buy a shower wand so I can fill the 55 barrel when I need to drain it for fish poo water for the plants in the greenhouse. No need to worry about water spilling because it will be in my shower.I dont use that shower,I use the other one in the house. With the shower wand filling the barrel I will eliminate the amonia in the city water if I put it to fine mist.Might take some time to fill,but its worth it because:

If I overfill,the water will just go down the drain
If I underfill, just turn on the shower spigot...no need to grab a garden hose.
I can place two 4x4's underneath it so I can attach a drain,spigot,and hose for cleaning and filling our plant waterer.
I have a 60 gallon aquarium air pump

Now the catz have to be no less than 40 degrees,but at 85 they will grow like mad
big_smile.png

Quote:
Read again, that is probably 5-9 per square foot of Water SURFACE to ensure adequate oxygen exchange. With the density you are proposing the fish will need a lot of air and of equal importance a lot of water flowing through the barrel to flush waste and uneaten food.
Get a test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrate and nitrite build up, is your water chlorinated?

Got that Stuff. Everyone wait til sat or sunday eve for pics.It will amaze you. My redwoyms and mealwoyms are housed in my lab/bathroom inthe back of the house. The catfish will occupy that space. We havent rebuilt that room yet,but If its any decision,I dont want to lose my lab to DW. Its a shower,no tub,you know those fiberglassy things.

I will buy a shower wand so I can fill the 55 barrel when I need to drain it for fish poo water for the plants in the greenhouse. No need to worry about water spilling because it will be in my shower.I dont use that shower,I use the other one in the house. With the shower wand filling the barrel I will eliminate the amonia in the city water if I put it to fine mist.Might take some time to fill,but its worth it because:

I can place two 4x4's underneath it so I can attach a drain,spigot,and hose for cleaning and filling our plant waterer.

Now the catz have to be no less than 40 degrees,but at 85 they will grow like mad
big_smile.png

Leave the water on adding at least 2.3 gallons per hour to ensure a 100% water change every day. Set up an overflow to pull water off the bottom as fresh water enters the barrel.

Quote:

big_smile.png

Leave the water on adding at least 2.3 gallons per hour to ensure a 100% water change every day. Set up an overflow to pull water off the bottom as fresh water enters the barrel.

Thanks for your advice.Looking into installing overflow device. Maybe some pipe downspout on the outside draining to the shower drain. There will be a flow device on the bottom to drain the old water. With a piece of hose and a plastic spigot on the end to add 2.3 gph would eliminate the need for an air pump.Then Ill make some form of a shower sprayer on the end of the spigot so the water is in a spray form.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

I just did some very light reading on this after seeing this thread. Told my husband about it and he is super excited. He will be trying it this summer!

Quote:
if I remember correctly fish grow according to their invironment,,BUT,you can manipulate their invironment by doing water changes,,fish release a hormone of sorts that limits their growth as the fish reads these hormone levels in the water,,so by doing a lot of water changes you get rid of the hormones in the water so then the fish "thinks" it can keep growing..ideally you would want a constant change of water,,the person who had a relative raise them in a stock tank by diverting water from the stream is the best way as they could flush the system 24-7 of the hormones and waste and other toxins.

Back
Top Bottom