Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Forget about Steve.............. sometimes one catches a series of post and on a bad day and it doesn't translate well, No harm no foul. I guess I shouldn't be as passionate about these big ugly cusses as I am ....... but hey everybody has their vises LOL. You should sit for an hour or so in a conversation with group of lifetime Cornishmen and see all the ruckuss that comes from that, it can and does get ugly quick. Shoot Steve........... you won't find those kind of passionate sessions in some hatchery bird pet people or goofy backyard breeder people.

I have found that when I was studying all the Genetics possibilities and trying to a be a genetics geek speak that is was even more frustrating when you get a hatch that is all over the place, and that get's you running in circles questioning everything and in the end you still don't have the answers LOL, it drives a person crazy. I guess I just prefer to maintain my insanity at a lower level and keep things simpler, Concentrating on the older tried and true methods for several reasons that we need to make some sense of.

10-15 yrs ago there were maybe 6 or 7 premiere LF white Cornish breeders in the country, and they had litteraly hundreds of birds each, older lifetime cornish kind of guy's, back then there were ton's of great white cornish all over the place. Then these guys passed on and their flocks got dispersed to the four winds, and to less scroupulous breeders who didn't want to share, once those flocks got thin others began to do the only thing left to do..................... Cross with WLR's & Darks in hopes of making a comeback and also crossing their fingers at the same time. That's the reason we see so much diversity in color where there shouldn't be, a speck hear, a lace there, an off color there, it just happens. And trying to make sense of it is easy but if your on the wrong thought train or buried in genetics you'll go blind and insane trying to figure it out. Hatching & Culling, hatching & culling, hatching & culling it's the only way and it will help you from getting grey hairs and your kids putting you in the nut house LOL.

Anyway................ just sayin.

Last edited:
Well, since the post has been dead for a while now; why not bump it up?

I've been hatching Cornish for personal use, pretty hard in the last 3 weeks. Have 11 chicks that broodies brought up, and one of the cornish has been trying to go broody for a while now-- so I finally let her have 10 eggs, that was a week ago.

For those of you with Cornish- you know how small the chicks are, but I hatched out one chick from a bantam cornish egg- just as a trial-- and it's TINY.

The newest news is a partner that I now have- traded him 2 1/2 dozen Cornish eggs, a, dozen guinea, and a half dozen Ameraucana eggs for some Coturnix Quail, and a couple bunnies. Pretty cheap investment for me, especially considering the 'bators have been shut down for a couple of months-- and my fridge is overrun with Cornish eggs, good eating they are.

Last edited:
Hi All,
Starting to get HOT here in 87008 even at 7000 ft.
As I recall last year Steve and Al had sever loses. I know Steve moved so how's everyone doing so far this year?

Our bear population is doing well after the really wet late snow in early April, lots of berries and apples on old abandoned orchards soooo .... gotta check the wire again.

We have a lot of wild flowers we haven't seen for a couple of years and still have rabbits running around soo I imagine well have a boom in Coyotes this year.

No free ranging this year.

Joe

The heat so far here hasn't been an issue and it wouldn't have been last year if I had check the water just once that fatefull morning, Temps here often get to triple digits for many weeks on end without rain, very hot dry and windy. This year should be different as I check each and every pen now before leaving for the day and then again as soon as I return home with a back up person (the DW) checking them periodicly during the day.

Here's a trio of wlr cornish bantams I recently picked up, I know they are not the best quality but you guys are talking about how hard they are to get down their up here in Canada its even harder.

Hi All,
Very nice coloring, does anyone have pictures of LF birds?
caf.gif

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks I am enjoying them. I guess they would be considered jubilee cornish?
Is this thread usually this quiet?
jubillee is double laced-- I cannot see these pictures good enough to tell if they are.

There is a few pictures of a LF DC Male, and some project BLR birds on my page... With the new format of the BYC-- I don't know how to post pictures.

Back
Top Bottom