Ribh's D'Coopage

Yes, I couldn't find where they said what the cover was. I assumed it was like a tarp. It would need some sort of edging. I like it as a run set up even if I need a more traditional hen house set up inside it. is big enough to do that.
I think so too. It seems quite roomy enough for a coop to go inside.

Caturday.
Another one of the cats that I saw on my bike rides.
1722051552867.jpeg

As we are about to have a rather massive climate change I have been rethinking what I need in a chicken coop. At present I am leaning towards this:
https://www.mydeal.com.au/outdoor-c...-chicken-run-galvanised-steel-vidaxl-11008017
The area can be extended with extra segments to form a good sized run. I just need to measure the area where I propose to put it to make sure it will fit. Thoughts people?
A couple of thoughts. Get one section first in case you find it is too flimsy you haven’t shelled out in multiple segments.
How will you stop predators getting underneath the edges? And more generally, how does it anchor to the ground? It looks like it could handle a gentle slope but not big steps up and down.
I like the concept though. I originally thought something like that would be good for me but in the end I just went with electric fence.

Lol That is rather disturbing. My Aunt's house had several bedrooms that could only be accessed via the verandahs, no bathroom & the shower was on a cement slab under the water tank [ for pressure] so all your showers were cold! My paternal GPs had the tiniest house with just one bedroom, no living or dining, just an enclosed verandah @ the front & all 5 kids slept on the back verandah. My maternal GPs had 1 verandah for the boys & another for the girls. The farm I remember was @ Kingaroy which has very nippy winters so the verandahs had bamboo blinds that could be lowered for privacy & to keep the worst of the weather @ bay. It actually boggles my mind what people think they now have to have to live comfortably.
The way people lived in houses and organised the space has changed a lot.
In the house we live in, because the land is steep the first floor is on ground level on one side. All the rooms are accessible by the outside. My partner's grandparents opened doors in the 1950's to cross from one room to another, and built a stair to join the two floors. Before that you needed to go outside if you wanted to go up or down ; that is also where the toilets were and stayed until the 80's.
The two older abandoned houses on the property are mazes. There are no level floors like we know them. Each room is an independent entity. I wouldn't even be able to draw a plan🤣.

A lot of people feel like our house is not confortable but it's the first time I live in a house where I don't hear a single human noise at night and very few during the day, and that feels very luxurious to me. I grew up in a house near the river and there were barges motor noises all night.

I haven't done Caturday for so long. We have our first heatwave so I have carpets instead of cats.
IMG_20240724_155815.jpg

Ensure you have indoor nesting for the chooks, preferably in the kitchen. I've seen @Shadrach say that having a nesting box inside is just as sensible as running water or something along the lines of that.
Might as well install a chicken door so they can come and go as they need. It would make things easier for all.

Lol That is rather disturbing. My Aunt's house had several bedrooms that could only be accessed via the verandahs, no bathroom & the shower was on a cement slab under the water tank [ for pressure] so all your showers were cold! My paternal GPs had the tiniest house with just one bedroom, no living or dining, just an enclosed verandah @ the front & all 5 kids slept on the back verandah. My maternal GPs had 1 verandah for the boys & another for the girls. The farm I remember was @ Kingaroy which has very nippy winters so the verandahs had bamboo blinds that could be lowered for privacy & to keep the worst of the weather @ bay. It actually boggles my mind what people think they now have to have to live comfortably.
Well remember where I live it can get down to -23°C in the winter so walls that seal were essential to survival. You could not survive the night in a veranda with blinds.

Back
Top Bottom