Ribh's D'Coopage

E-books are great if you gave a good device. I am really into audiobooks, as I frees up my hands for other things, I go through a crazy number of books a week, not uncommon to go through 50 hours of audio.
But some things are most useful to have a physical copy of, like field guides for the beach, where one might not want a device! Plus the pictures are often better. I went to 2 actual local book stores yesterday, sadly none had the book I wanted, but it was a joy non the less.

Merlin with creepy eyes
20240906_194636~2.jpg

Had some lovely clouds last night
20240906_194630~2.jpg
20240906_194852_HDR~2.jpg

Oh and chickens 😁
20240906_183501~2.jpg

E-books are great if you gave a good device. I am really into audiobooks, as I frees up my hands for other things, I go through a crazy number of books a week, not uncommon to go through 50 hours of audio.
But some things are most useful to have a physical copy of, like field guides for the beach, where one might not want a device! Plus the pictures are often better. I went to 2 actual local book stores yesterday, sadly none had the book I wanted, but it was a joy non the less.

Merlin with creepy eyes
View attachment 3938196

Had some lovely clouds last nightView attachment 3938199View attachment 3938200
Oh and chickens 😁View attachment 3938202
I agree. I still buy reference books and have even gone out and purchased books I read on the eReader. Having a waterproof eReader had been perfect for me as I read in the pool a lot. I would have ruined many a book so before the eReader I could not read while in the pool.

Merlin with creepy eyes
View attachment 3938196

Had some lovely clouds last nightView attachment 3938199View attachment 3938200
Oh and chickens 😁View attachment 3938202
I like ebooks. However, it's always worth having a physical copy of a book you really like, as you never know when Amazon or your ebook provider's licence agreement ends and poof! there goes you ebook (it's happened before).

I like ebooks. However, it's always worth having a physical copy of a book you really like, as you never know when Amazon or your ebook provider's licence agreement ends and poof! there goes you ebook (it's happened before).
Always went to the library to borrow books to read once. Nowadays I often download e-books to read them in my own pace. I rather read than listen.
I give away books and delete e-books that aren’t interesting enough to read twice or to keep for looking up information or enjoying photography (flora, fauna, geography, cooking, arts, architecture and such). Nowadays if Im looking for information I search the internet more often than looking into books.

you never know when Amazon or your ebook provider's licence agreement ends and poof! there goes you ebook
that happens with library subscriptions to e-journals too. And they are bundled into packages, to try to maximize the number of different journal packages a library has to subscribe to to get the handful that it absolutely cannot do without. And then shuffled between packages periodically.

Of course I understand that the publishers are struggling in this world of hostile attitudes and actions, e.g. copy-and-paste, use but ignore whose content it actually is, assert that everything's opinion anyway, and the notion of copyright is tricky for ideas, but some publishers still get my goat for grossly overpricing their products, fleecing university libraries, and other practices. If you are paying just for access to something, and do not have a physical something in your hand, you can lose it far more easily than commonly recognized.

Wow, great chat about books! Just chipping in to say my best thinking occurs with a physical book, and then I write notes directly into the book and place a sticky note so I can find the notes later. For me, this method is very constructive, but each to their own. I was once loaned a book by a very senior academic and felt I couldn't write in it. I can recall it's core argument, but I have never used it in my own thinking. Another time a book I'd been looking forward to was released only in ebook format and it was incredibly tedious to attach comments to the pages. I ended up getting the paper version (when it was finally on the market) and still haven't transcribed the notes out of the kindle.

Last edited:
I have to have a physical book. I have a terrible weakness for books that quote other books or are full of quotations & I annotate like mad & cross reference. It's probably why Eliot is my favourite poet. He references pretty much everything that's ever been written in English ~ & lots in Greek or Latin or Hebrew as well! 😄 Ebooks drive me crazy. I do have a few but they tend to be the sort of book easily discardable: modern detective stories I will never re~read, boring family sagas, things that sounded good but weren't, poor fantasy choices. I will admit ebooks are handy for hospital stays when bag space is limited.

Back
Top Bottom