Ribh's D'Coopage

snap!

like marking on paper (trivial) versus electronically (a real pita)
This is a tangent, but we had a demo the other day. An AI that would write a course rubric out of Course Outcome statements. The learning expert involved in the project said the uni doesn't have the connection between Course Outcomes and assessment rubrics. I said, yes it does, it's in the humans. Anyway, the AI was of course a dunderhead and made mostly preposterous suggestions. By the time it was prompted over and over to get to something plausible, any expert could've documented it themselves. All very inefficient. I just hope the experience will prompt the learning expert to reflect upon the differences between creative expertise and procedural repetition. Oh, I just remembered, his other main reason for pursuing this 'innovation' was that a different university was already working on such a thing - he was so worried about market pressure that he was wasting effort on something nonsensical.

I have to have a physical book. I have a terrible weakness for books that quote other books or are full of quotations & I annotate like mad & cross reference. It's probably why Eliot is my favourite poet. He references pretty much everything that's ever been written in English ~ & lots in Greek or Latin or Hebrew as well! 😄 Ebooks drive me crazy. I do have a few but they tend to be the sort of book easily discardable: modern detective stories I will never re~read, boring family sagas, things that sounded good but weren't, poor fantasy choices. I will admit ebooks are handy for hospital stays when bag space is limited.
That's a really good point about hospital stays. They're good for travelling too, when the weight of luggage matters.

Wow, great chat about books! Just chipping in to say my best thinking occurs with a physical book, and then I write notes directly into the book and place a sticky note so I can find the notes later. For me, this method is very constructive, but each to their own.
When I study, I use sticky notes and use the writing method too (in a notebook). Not when I read for pleasure. Can’t even do that in library books.;) 📚
Ebooks drive me crazy
I love it that I can take 10 books with me on a vacation without luggage. And often read e-books on my I-phone at night when I cant sleep, without disturbing my husband. The light , font size etc. can be adjusted to my comfort.

The nat. Library has lots of e-books. I pay €42 a year for max. 10 e-books and can choose new books or keep them (renew) every 3 weeks.
Fyi If you like to get an impression (in Dutch);
https://www.onlinebibliotheek.nl/meer/app.html

I love it that I can take 10 books with me on a vacation without luggage. And often read e-books on my I-phone at night when I cant sleep, without disturbing my husband. The light , font size etc. can be adjusted to my comfort.
I have a lot of e-books too. I like that I can download a sample and if I like it; buy the book. I put it on a black background and if I turn the light right down, I have no problem falling asleep.

We also have many books and my son is a voracious reader because of that.

I am or rather was one of those awful librarians that threw away hundred linear meters of books. I personally had many books until we came living here and I had to separate from 3/4 of them. As a former librarian I understand that the risk if you keep buying books without getting any out isn't that the shelves will topple down, but that the floor will. It's a main concern when calculating how many books can be kept in a library and it should also be in an old house.
Any that were of interest found a home at my parent's place. My mum is slowly reading them and every now and then she wants to discuss some point of detail in a book I don't remember I ever owned or read.
But I still have doubles, many in fact. One reason is that I met my partner in our late thirties and he also had a lot of books, and while we have very different tastes, there was a number of books we both owned and wanted to keep. Another reason is language. Some american authors I first bought translated in french and then I bought their books in english because reading in the original language is so much better.
I love e-books but I don't think their use is exactly the same as physical books. I would never attempt to read essays, poetry, or comics in e-books form.
My mum's eyes are bad enough that if there is an e-book version she will choose it for the possibility to zoom, and she still always takes manual notes, on notebooks dedicated to that purpose. It's pretty efficient, she always makes a small synopsis, writes her opinion of the book, and takes quotes noting pages number, on a double page. I wish I could be that organised !
I find it really is a confort when you read in your bed at night to have a very light device compared to a heavy thousand page book, and one that can be dimmed enough so as not to bother someone else trying to sleep in the same bed 🤣.

Love that!
if you keep buying books without getting any out isn't that the shelves will topple down, but that the floor will. It's a main concern when calculating how many books can be kept in a library and it should also be in an old house.
yes indeed. When we moved into our previous house - back in the 80s - we asked the removals men to put book boxes (removal boxes smaller than the usual, to keep them portable without collapsing) in the back bedroom. At a certain point they said they needed somewhere else because they did not want to put any more in that bedroom; there was plenty of space for more but they were getting worried about the weight the floor could bear.
When we moved to this house we put the libraries on the ground floor :D

I am or rather was one of those awful librarians that threw away hundred linear meters of books. I personally had many books until we came living here and I had to separate from 3/4 of them. As a former librarian I understand that the risk if you keep buying books without getting any out isn't that the shelves will topple down, but that the floor will. It's a main concern when calculating how many books can be kept in a library and it should also be in an old house.
Any that were of interest found a home at my parent's place. My mum is slowly reading them and every now and then she wants to discuss some point of detail in a book I don't remember I ever owned or read.
But I still have doubles, many in fact. One reason is that I met my partner in our late thirties and he also had a lot of books, and while we have very different tastes, there was a number of books we both owned and wanted to keep. Another reason is language. Some american authors I first bought translated in french and then I bought their books in english because reading in the original language is so much better.
I love e-books but I don't think their use is exactly the same as physical books. I would never attempt to read essays, poetry, or comics in e-books form.
My mum's eyes are bad enough that if there is an e-book version she will choose it for the possibility to zoom, and she still always takes manual notes, on notebooks dedicated to that purpose. It's pretty efficient, she always makes a small synopsis, writes her opinion of the book, and takes quotes noting pages number, on a double page. I wish I could be that organised !
I find it really is a confort when you read in your bed at night to have a very light device compared to a heavy thousand page book, and one that can be dimmed enough so as not to bother someone else trying to sleep in the same bed 🤣.
We have who knows how many duplicates of The Boxcar Children (Book 1) and Little House on the Prairie.

Love that!

yes indeed. When we moved into our previous house - back in the 80s - we asked the removals men to put book boxes (removal boxes smaller than the usual, to keep them portable without collapsing) in the back bedroom. At a certain point they said they needed somewhere else because they did not want to put any more in that bedroom; there was plenty of space for more but they were getting worried about the weight the floor could bear.
When we moved to this house we put the libraries on the ground floor :D
We once needed to move our living room library 800 miles. Well, we loaded up our trailer with the books. Turns out we have so many books the trailer hardly made it out of the driveway on our hilly street, and we had to unload quite a few boxes. I think we have somewhere around more than 1 ton of books.

Back
Top Bottom