Rooster acting weird towards hen?

How new is the rooster? Have you seen him mate her?
If she's head hen she may have not submitted to him yet. This would make him get aggressive towards her, to the point where she either submits or he kills or drives her out of the flock.
Yea before she and all the other hens have gone broody she was the alpha hen, they have mated before but now hes just bullying her basically, he moves without her and eats without her, hes just with everyone else, hes attacked her today, were separating him from the flock for a little now.

How new is the rooster? Have you seen him mate her?
If she's head hen she may have not submitted to him yet. This would make him get aggressive towards her, to the point where she either submits or he kills or drives her out of the flock.
:thumbsup This!

I've had this happen before. When the cockerel matured to the point that he was ready to take over the flock the dominant hen fought him. She lost. For two days he attacked her every time she approached the flock or even got close. Neither was injured but it was pretty vicious. One of them, especially the hen, could have easily gotten seriously hurt or killed. After two days they worked it out. They became best buddies but it was vicious and one could have been hurt or killed before they worked it out.

I'd watch them closely but give them a chance to settle it.

So lately all of the hens were broody, I know crazy... They all broke from their broody phase after not hatching any eggs (we used fakes since they were all broody, after they all left their nesting boxes we noticed that the rooster was a little overwhelmed with all the hens back and active, I'm sure he's adjusting back to how it was before they were broody. One of our hens though, she's distancing herself from everyone else, the rooster just stares at her and makes a weird high pitch noise. He also tries to attack and fly towards her if he has the chance. These two grew up together, all the hens including her were inactive laying in nesting boxes for about 1-2 months, all hens leave their broody phase and she is the only one that's being bullied by our rooster, what could it be?????
We are dealing with almost the exact same problem!

Yea he sure has taken a liking for her, they both grew up together since they were little chicks, the rest of the flock/hens were introduced later down the road. They are both 16 months old (Hen and Rooster) her breed is a black australorp, his breed is not known. And i’m sure that he is, he chases her with his wings down and lunges his feet in a way, it’s possible he’s trying to mate like you said, it’s hard to tell.
That sounds like he's just exited and trying to mate. Sometimes when I let my chickens out in the morning the roosters will put their wings down and chase the hens around, which means they are just exited and want to mate and show off.

Back
Top Bottom