Rooster gashed my hen.

@Eggcessive, are you saying to put the chicken into the sink of saline water to soak, like a bath, and also to squirt the saline into the wound to flush it?
Irrigate. Flush. Rinse. :)
An old turkey baster or large syringe can be good to irrigate the wound twice a day. Trim feathers away from getting into the wound.

If it seems infected, I would get some Hibiclens (chlorhexidiene) at Walmart and at pharmacies, mix it with water and irrigate the wound for a day or two, then switch back to the saline. Betadine would work in place of the Hibiclens/chlorhexidene. Rinse either of those with water or saline.

Yes, you might need to mix the salt and warm water in a sink or dish pan and irrigate the wound. The saline is good for irrigation, but if there is infection or at first, the Hibiclens mixed 1:1 with warm water is better to use to disinfect the wound. Hibiclens should be rinsed off. Saline does not. Sorry for all the confusion. Wyorp Rock says it best and briefly in post 22.

here’s an updated picture, there’s two spots where it’s super dried mix with feathers. i am CERTAIN it is feathers now. it honestly looks a lot better, no warmth, no smell ect. but it’s the feathers that i cannot get out. idk how to loosen them up without hurting her further. my camera quality isn’t great, it looks worse in photos. it is not that dark or dirty looking. the fatty part of the skin has the feather and extra debris under it. i’ve been using the saline solution to try to help loosen it as well but it’s not helping.
i really do not have good eyesight and it’s hard to see exactly what i am looking at.

Attachments

• IMG_9924.jpeg
    IMG_9924.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 11
update!! i did get 98% of that dang feather mess out!!! it looks so much better and i hope it does start to heal now.
My second issue, it’s hard to tell by the pictures posted bc they’re grainy, but the fat piece of skin, is actually folded into the wound, would i have to try to refold that? (sorry gross) but i just want to make sure im doing everything correctly, the debris looks mostly cleared out and that makes me so much happier.

You are doing the best for her that can be done. Your hen will make a come back with what you've been doing. My Brahma hen had her whole side skin torn away and puncture holes on her back from the rooster's claws. Like you, I didn't realize it until she was cowering in the corner.
But same thing, cleaned it well, then used antibiotics (in and all around the edges of her wounds) 2x day for 2+ weeks.
That's when I discovered Vetericyn spray gel. It's wonderful as the gel sticks to the wound. Also the spray is easier to apply.
You might obtain some and use it instead of Neosporin or other product. It's a bit pricey, but overall same cost as using bunch of Neosporin tubes and you'll have it on hand for other injuries.
My girl is 3 years past that episode and now she's the Boss Chick in the yard

i have quite literally over 30 hens, he has huge spurs, he’s an asshole, and him and his brother have picked her as a favorite. why wouldn’t i be convinced “the man did it?!?!”
You are doing the best for her that can be done. Your hen will make a come back with what you've been doing. My Brahma hen had her whole side skin torn away and puncture holes on her back from the rooster's claws. Like you, I didn't realize it until she was cowering in the corner.
But same thing, cleaned it well, then used antibiotics (in and all around the edges of her wounds) 2x day for 2+ weeks.
That's when I discovered Vetericyn spray gel. It's wonderful as the gel sticks to the wound. Also the spray is easier to apply.
You might obtain some and use it instead of Neosporin or other product. It's a bit pricey, but overall same cost as using bunch of Neosporin tubes and you'll have it on hand for other injuries.
My girl is 3 years past that episode and now she's the Boss Chick in the yard
thank you. 100% thank you. if you read through all the posts, i was concerned about the feather mess INSIDE(underneath) her opened part of her skin. after about 2 days of freaking myself out, i got ALL of it out. i feel so much better and confident that she will heal now. thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom