Rooster has poop stuck on his bottom

I answered on your other thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...uck-on-his-bottom-help.1192766/#post-18859925

but make sure there are no maggots present, since this looks like it could be flystrike. Here is some information to see if that is what you are seeing:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/07/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

It looks like @Eggcessive has given you excellent care tips, advice and links on your other thread. I agree very much this looks like FlyStrike.

I have soaked him about 3 or 4 times today in epson salt and decided to give him a break. He's in he's own coop and run with food and water! I'm going to keep an eye on him today and will soak him again tomorrow. Hopefully that helps him with flystrike!! Also his comb is starting to look a bit purple I hope that's not a bad sign!

For those of you interested in seeing more pictures of the vent of the OP's rooster, go to the other thread listed in post #10. The vent is severely damaged and eaten away.

Hopefully & think Mike the Pickleman meant Mineral Oil, not Spirits. Eggcessive I think it correct, don't look like pasty butt.
Hopefully @Mike the PickleMan meant oil instead of spirits, but you can never be too sure;) If so, it may be best that he edit his post to reflect that.

Thank you again to everyone who helped me through this with their advice and support. We thought about putting him down today if he didn't make it this mornging. When I woke up this morning and went to go feed my goats and pigs I was sure he wasn't going to be alive. However, he was eating, drinking, and his vent looks better. He got more color back to his face and comb. He even got mad when I picked him up (he's never been a cuddlier). I gave him another epson salt bath and the swelling it going away. He was walking around more hen he was yesterday.

You may want to post a picture so we can see the problem. When you say "his bottom", I'm assuming you mean his vent? Or the feathering under the vent?

Is he eating? Drinking? Pooping? Is he having constant soft poop? Try soaking again & massage the mass, trying to loosen it off. How close to his skin is the clump? If theres a space, maybe VERY CAREFULLY cutting away the mass?

You need to figure out what's causing him to have a messy butt. How long has this been? Are any others having "pasty butt" problems? Try mixing some ACV with Mother in their water (1 - 2 T to a gallon) making sure its a plastic waterer, change out daily. See if he'll eat some plain yogurt.

It's been warm, chickens drink more water, hence looser poop but it could also be worms. Others will be peeping in with their thoughts & advice.
I have had this twice with my rooster .I noticed that he doesn't want to come out in the yard and sits on his perch. It gets a large very hard ball of poop blocking the vent and he can't poop. Legs and feet swell some and he looks sad . I both times took warm water with some dawn and olive oil and threw a towel over his head in a corner and worked hard with wet towels and pulled that stuff off!! Some feathers came too but he didn't seem to mind. I think he knew it was helping! After I got him clean I rubbed the whole area with olive oil even into the butt hole! Cleaned out water buckets, plastic, and added some Bragg's ACV.i think this time I will feed him in a container and add some edible DE and some psyllium. Last time I just did the cleanup and ACV. He was feeling better almost immediately! I hope that this helps!If you leave that hard clump, he will die! It's very tough to get off. Just do it!!

I have had this twice with my rooster .I noticed that he doesn't want to come out in the yard and sits on his perch. It gets a large very hard ball of poop blocking the vent and he can't poop. Legs and feet swell some and he looks sad . I both times took warm water with some dawn and olive oil and threw a towel over his head in a corner and worked hard with wet towels and pulled that stuff off!! Some feathers came too but he didn't seem to mind. I think he knew it was helping! After I got him clean I rubbed the whole area with olive oil even into the butt hole! Cleaned out water buckets, plastic, and added some Bragg's ACV.i think this time I will feed him in a container and add some edible DE and some psyllium. Last time I just did the cleanup and ACV. He was feeling better almost immediately! I hope that this helps!If you leave that hard clump, he will die! It's very tough to get off. Just do it!!
When you use AVC not to use metal containers as it causes a toxic reaction, so I've read. You could try fermenting his feed too but clipping the butt feathers helps. What are you feeding him?

Back
Top Bottom