runny bloody poop, help please

BeccaaStancil

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2016
Alabama
Instructions for treating coccidia please. Any info appreciated! I’m doing research on my own but I’d like info from people with personal experience as well.

I had a hen to 8 babies get killed (definitely a predator, not illness, long story but I feel horrible and it was my fault for not triple checking the locks on the “broody coop”) I moved all babies to a brooder I already had setup until I could buy another brooder plate. This brooder has birds that I spent a lot of money on, and have grown very attached to, and now 4 days later, finally got another brooder plate and i’m in here cleaning the brooder out and getting the second one setup and I’m seeing bloody droppings and freaking out because i’ve probably exposed my inside birds to something from the 8 babies. Is bloody stool always coccidia? they’ve been strictly eating starter and have had no treats that could dye their poop.

Starter is unmedicated because that’s all tsc had. No injuries - blood is definitely from their poop. No one is lethargic but I know that can change quickly. The 8 babies are only a week old, the others are a few weeks old now. bedding has been paper towels but just now swapped to pine pellets. help please!

Attachments

• IMG_0932.jpeg
    IMG_0932.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 22
Easiest solution is medicated feed. That is what I did when I had chicks. Their first feed was medicated. When that ran out,,, the chicks developed their immunity by then.
Check around other feed stores in your area. some may carry it.

There are other options,,, You will have to get to a feed store that carry these.
Consider treating with meds ;
Drugs like sulphonamides, amprolium & toltrazuril can be used in the drinking water to treat coccidiosis.
I have not personally used these meds, so have no idea about dosage amounts.
I suppose, the meds will come with instructions,,, so read them well, and understand them.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Easiest solution is medicated feed. That is what I did when I had chicks. Their first feed was medicated. When that ran out,,, the chicks developed their immunity by then.
Check around other feed stores in your area. some may carry it.

There are other options,,, You will have to get to a feed store that carry these.
Consider treating with meds ;
Drugs like sulphonamides, amprolium & toltrazuril can be used in the drinking water to treat coccidiosis.
I have not personally used these meds, so have no idea about dosage amounts.
I suppose, the meds will come with instructions,,, so read them well, and understand them.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
thankyou so much! i’ve been reading like i mad woman since i posted and i’ve found a lot of helpful info, but i can’t find any info on treating chicks that aren’t lethargic, it seems as though most people have chicks dropping like flies by the time they start pooping blood. i’m afraid that my older babies may be immune and not need treatment, and if i do treat all of them it might do more harm than good. im also not sure how they’re acting normal while pooping blood as what i’ve read says by the time you see bloody stool it’s already done major damage to the intestinal lining and chances of survival are lower. i wonder if medicated feed would help get things under control? i’m definitely not sleeping tonight 😫

Back
Top Bottom