Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

a few shots of my babies... one older one that only gets supervised visitation with the younger ones -- she's just a little TOO rough for them right now -- the solo came from an egg from a friend in NY that got me hooked on these birds --- the younger 8 are from eggs i hatched from Chris (ckirtley on byc) -- a nice guy and he has some beautiful stock and i'm MORE than happy with the babies!

i spend more time with Susie (the older one),well, because she needs the attention
wink.png

Last edited:
I'm using a Little Giant incubator (because I could afford it), so most of the guide seems like it doesn't pertain as much to me. It has taught me a little about watching the air cell, though.

Despite the complaints about the LG, I've had pretty good success. I hatched out four Muscovy ducklings this weekend (the other 3 eggs were older and rotted, probably due to the rainfall we had before I picked them up) and seven Swedish/Indian Runner ducklings.

I'm hoping the goose eggs I have now are doing well enough. I have to avoid adding water now because a storm is coming in for the weekend.

Just hoping these eggs come in safely first, though. I desperately want them to just make it so we can have a chance.

Did you get your Sebbie eggs yet? What other breed(s) of geese have you got in your incubator already?

Did you get your Sebbie eggs yet? What other breed(s) of geese have you got in your incubator already?

Yup, I got four in. One is misshapen and probably won't even develop, so it's just in there for kicks and giggles. The rest I will check next Monday to see if they are developing. My postman was being a tad rough with the package. :(

In the incubator, I also have about about 10 viable Chinese/African goose eggs. They are only about a week and a half away from hatching and they are all looking good. Everyone was moving in their shells the last I saw.

I don't know why I'm hatching all these goose eggs. I originally bought them to blow out but then I was asked by my sister and mom is we could hatch them. I agreed because I was weak. Now my mom is already finding people who want pairs of geese and I'm just like, "Woah, Mama, we ain't hatched 'em yet!" (I pretend I'm a country girl in my flashbacks)

So yup, loads of babies coming my way. Too many babies. I have no idea what I'm doing, haha!

Just finished my first-ever Sebastopol hatch! I started with 12 eggs; candled at 7 days, 2 were clear. Of the 10, 5 quit at various stages, 1 quit at the very end (bummer!), and 4 hatched.

These are from a pair of whites. If you were to pick the one most likely to be a girl based on color sexing, which would it be? In the first pic my bet's on the one in the back on the right (with a little blue Sharpie on her head), although her bill is broader and not as delicate as some of the others. Her "cape" is much more distinct that the other three. Should I look at bill size as well? I know color sexing's not 100% accurate but I need to make the best possible guess right away and I am not comfortable vent sexing. I'd appreciate hearing from the experts. I only have a day or two to pick out my "keeper" so I want to make the best pick.

Here, "she"'s on the right looking down:

And here, looking at the waterer:

Yup, I got four in. One is misshapen and probably won't even develop, so it's just in there for kicks and giggles. The rest I will check next Monday to see if they are developing. My postman was being a tad rough with the package. :(

In the incubator, I also have about about 10 viable Chinese/African goose eggs. They are only about a week and a half away from hatching and they are all looking good. Everyone was moving in their shells the last I saw.

I don't know why I'm hatching all these goose eggs. I originally bought them to blow out but then I was asked by my sister and mom is we could hatch them. I agreed because I was weak. Now my mom is already finding people who want pairs of geese and I'm just like, "Woah, Mama, we ain't hatched 'em yet!" (I pretend I'm a country girl in my flashbacks)

So yup, loads of babies coming my way. Too many babies. I have no idea what I'm doing, haha!

Sounds like fun!! I'd love to see pics on here of any Sebastopol babies! (I'd love to see pictures of the others too!! But this is supposed to be a Sebastopol thread...don't know how much that matters.) :) I miss my geese being babies. Hoping for some goslings next spring, Lord willing.

I just purchased some goslings to be delivered next week, two of which are Sebastopols. I got some goslings to put on my pond when they are old enough. I currently have 3 toulouse that live there and are self sufficient. Will these be fine out there as well- after reading through here it seems most people keep them as backyard pets.

Back
Top Bottom