Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Ended up being a pullet, and once again I was proven the dumb one :p
Been there, done that too, including last year :rolleyes: :lol:

I hope it turns out thus in this case, because that chick must be either Dyffryn's or Ystrad's, and they are my two best layers! Apart from laying right through winter, their eggs are XL size (73+ g), whereas all the others in this clutch were medium (53-62g). The chipmunk twins must be Fez's, because she's the only one who contributed two eggs, leaving the other two chicks, a brown one and a gold one, as Idris' and Llandeilo's. Hopefully who's whose will become clear when they grow their mature plumage.
all out 11.JPG

What did you do?
I separated the 2 broodies. If possible give the broody with the chicks a new, safe place to stay. I moved the one who was pecking. But I learned I was lucky because some broodies leave the nest if they are replaced.

A few days after the eggs of the pecking hen hatched I opened up the ‘gate’ and they got together without any problems.

I separated the 2 broodies. If possible give the broody with the chicks a new, safe place to stay. I moved the one who was pecking. But I learned I was lucky because some broodies leave the nest if they are replaced.

A few days after the eggs of the pecking hen hatched I opened up the ‘gate’ and they got together without any problems.
Hen one has her chicks with the flock. No problem with them. Hen two..she is on her nest of eggs. I plan on putting her in the pen once her eggs hatch. Hen two is the one that attacked the chicks. Hope it works out as good as you.

My broody is still sitting, on now three eggs. On Monday I found the egg shells of the fourth, not sure why/how it broke. My best guess(es) are that it broke during a tussle between another bird trying to lay and the broody, or that the broody just sensed it wasn't viable and disposed of it herself.

I'm planning on candling on Friday (day 18). Hoping for the best. I've been really pleased with her consistency, especially for her age. She was 10 months old when she started. Especially considering she was artificially incubated and brooded.

Screenshot_20240626_235643_Gallery.jpg
Kolovos still sleeps right next to her. So do some of the other hens. I'm not going to lie, I am a bit nervous. The heat here has been, well...hot. hopefully the embryos will not be affected. My hens are also quite spicy. Just by age alone, the broody is not "top hen", even though she towers over them. Hopefully the older birds won't be too nasty to the chicks. Actually, I know they will be:p. I just hope Kolovos keeps them somewhat in check. As I've said time and time again on this thread, Kolovos is the best rooster I've ever had. While he's not a fan with me, he is amazing with his hens, and good with the chicks I introduce (granted, at an older age)

Four hours today.
The chicks were in the coop run when I arrived this morning.:celebrate
I did the second patch today.
P6260992.JPG

Fret went and sat in one of the nest boxes in the morning just before I left.
When I arrived in the afternoon there was an extra blue egg; but not in the nest box Fret was in when I left!
Both Mow and Fret are crouching for Henry so it could be Mow's egg.
Fret is easing off on the mothering; lots of pointers, not calling the chicks if she finds food but if a chick is there then she lets the chick have it.
Fret isn't responding to the where are you calls from the chicks although she does still attend distress calls.
The chicks were all on the roost bar tonight.
P6260998.JPG

P6260997.JPG
P6260995.JPG
P6260993.JPG
P6260991.JPG
P6260990.JPG
P6260989.JPG
P6260987.JPG

Hen one has her chicks with the flock. No problem with them. Hen two..she is on her nest of eggs. I plan on putting her in the pen once her eggs hatch. Hen two is the one that attacked the chicks. Hope it works out as good as you.
A pen doesn’t sound safe for chicks. Hope you have no chick-predators walking / flying around or cover it with sturdy netting.

Fret is easing off on the mothering; lots of pointers, not calling the chicks if she finds food but if a chick is there then she lets the chick have it.
Thats very fast compared to my Pearl who was mothering Tintin until he was about 10 weeks old. How old are your chicks now?

Tintin never roosted with Pearl. He started roosting after I expelled him from the nestbox next to the broodies. The hens didn’t want him on the roosts (extension). But expelling from the nestbox did trigger him to start roosting. He roosts in the berry bush between the red berries now.

One of the last days with Pearl. I pity him because he’s all alone now.
IMG_4981.jpeg

He’s practicing to crow once a day around 9 am ❤️ . Les pleasing : he is a pain in the ass to get him inside the run in the middle of the day 🤬. If the laying hens are allowed to free range for a few hours in the morning, I keep him inside the run now.

The peeps 🐥 🐥 🐥 are still locked in in the small coop/run combi with the 2 mama’s.
IMG_5082.jpeg

The chicks were all on the roost bar tonight.
that's a wonderful scene, with a little head poking above Henry's back
I pity him because he’s all alone now.
Independence is tough for young males, but this phase doesn't last long. Do you plan to keep him?

Back
Top Bottom