Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

If pittbull baiting is a growing issue there, then it's definitely a good thing you didn't sell them. Two years ago I became heavily interested in Oriental gamefowl, and specifically aseel. I have since chosen not to get into them too much, since they require a lot more space than your "regular" chicken. In my research, fighting did come up.
From my understanding, they need to teach young fighters to be confident in their strikes, and to strike correctly. So in order to teach a young bird to hit correctly, they would most likely use a "lower quality" bird, or bird which has retired from fighting, and potentially even breeding. Of course that doesn't entirely cross out the possibility of using another breed for training, but I don't think it's the case here
I have put this in a spoiler, because it is a sensitive topic (and something that is very rightfully banned in a lot of places, IMHO)

I really think following your gut was the best thin regardless of the outcome
I have never understood how anyone can take pleasure in watching animals tear each other apart. :-(

The aseels are stunning. They have such an elegant presence. I had looked at some Old English Standard Game Chickens (or the breeder version of OESGs in the US..) too, for the same reason, they are stunning, but realized that I would need much more acreage and stricter controls over breeding, as well as culling more cockerels. I would have to resist the trappings of chicken math..lol
1719753052657.png
1719753203122.png

I have never understood how anyone can take pleasure in watching animals tear each other apart. :-(

Used to be big entertainment in Rome with humans too.

Team sports and the Olympics were training for battle .
Warriors battling it out and survival of the strongest or smartest or just plain luckiest.
I'm not into team sports either.

People beating each other to a pulp (rather than tearing them apart) is still popular with spectators in some quarters, and let's not forget bull fighting, or running with/from the bulls, which attracts a certain sort of person to participate. But animals set to fight have no choice in the matter, and that's an important difference.

The chicks have just crashed the adult food bowl for the first time, at 5 days old. After some live mealworms, they decided to see what the grown ups were eating (which I'd given the adults to distract them, so that the chicks could enjoy their mealworms uninterrupted), and climbed in. The adults duly stepped back. After 3 chicks had had enough and vacated the scene it was possible to get a photo. Fez and the full up 3 had moved off a few feet off, leaving these 3 still tucking in, with Polka and Tintern, who both tolerated their walking over the food with remarkably good grace. :D
DSC04740.JPG

The aseels are stunning. They have such an elegant presence. I had looked at some Old English Standard Game Chickens (or the breeder version of OESGs in the US..) too, for the same reason, they are stunning, but realized that I would need much more acreage and stricter controls over breeding, as well as culling more cockerels. I would have to resist the trappings of chicken math..lol
View attachment 3877322 View attachment 3877324
People beating each other to a pulp (rather than tearing them apart) is still popular with spectators in some quarters, and let's not forget bull fighting, or running with/from the bulls, which attracts a certain sort of person to participate. But animals set to fight have no choice in the matter, and that's an important difference.

I agree on both points. Cockfighting is part of their history, but it does not mean we should be continuing this gruesome "sport"

Last edited:
I agree on both points. Cockfighting is part of this history, but it does not mean we should be continuing this gruesome "sport"
⬆️⬆️ ditto
For cockfighting and other gruesome sports too like bullfighting, boxing 🥊 and even prof socker where the aim of slme players is to make sneaky casualties.

Back
Top Bottom