Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
Hey you guyyyyyyysssss!!!! Look what I got!!!

Also, we will be bringing our 10wk old pig home on saturday!

Attachments

• 20220906_061459.jpg
    20220906_061459.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 4
linoleum is slippery. one of my first hens got injured in a rainy day. I gave up linoleum. dirt or deep litter are the best.

I put linoleum in my coop to act as a floor covering to protect the wood. I always have some type of litter on top of the linoleum. Linoleum, covered, works fine for me. I use deep bedding in my coop, but I would think ever a thin layer of wood chips, for example, would be sufficient to prevent slipping.

@ChickensComeHome2Roost, another thought comes to mind. If your coop is not too big, you could probably lay down a layer of pallet wood on top of your floor boards and just consider them sacrificial wood to be replaced as necessary. Lots of people use pallet wood to make decks for people, I'm sure a person could use pallet wood to line the bottom of the coop just as well.

When I built my chicken coop, I was thinking of using the deep litter method, with a moist litter composting in place. That's why I went with ~waterproof linoleum. I changed my mind and ended up doing deep bedding, keeping everything as dry as possible. I probably could have gotten by with using a sacrificial layer of OSB on top of the floor. Dry deep litter does not promote composting and any wood would probably last many years. I would think pallet wood would last much longer than OSB.

Anyway, just a thought if you have lots of pallet wood and don't want to pay for linoleum.

I have been cleaning up a small utility trailer full of lumber I got from a house cleaning last week. I now have too many pallets and reclaimed lumber not being stored properly.

Started working on an outdoor pallet 8X4 foot wood rack to hold all my reclaimed wood and keep the wood out of the rain/snow. Nothing fancy planned. But probably a bunch of pallets aligned to make a bin with pallets on top to cover it. Thinking of using a big tarp to throw over the wood rack to keep out the weather. Goal is simply to get the wood off the ground tossed in piles on to the storage rack so the wood does not rot out before I use it. Will upload some pics if/when I get the project done.

Also, the idea of the pallet wood storage rack is just a temporary build. When I use the reclaimed lumber, I expect to take down the rack and use the pallets in another project.

:idunno The storage rack is not a pallet project I want to spend much time on, but I know if I don't get all that reclaimed wood organized and stored properly, I will be burning rotted wood next spring. Given the price of lumber today, that would be like burning $100 bills to remove a stump.

I put linoleum in my coop to act as a floor covering to protect the wood. I always have some type of litter on top of the linoleum. Linoleum, covered, works fine for me. I use deep bedding in my coop, but I would think ever a thin layer of wood chips, for example, would be sufficient to prevent slipping.

@ChickensComeHome2Roost, another thought comes to mind. If your coop is not too big, you could probably lay down a layer of pallet wood on top of your floor boards and just consider them sacrificial wood to be replaced as necessary. Lots of people use pallet wood to make decks for people, I'm sure a person could use pallet wood to line the bottom of the coop just as well.

When I built my chicken coop, I was thinking of using the deep litter method, with a moist litter composting in place. That's why I went with ~waterproof linoleum. I changed my mind and ended up doing deep bedding, keeping everything as dry as possible. I probably could have gotten by with using a sacrificial layer of OSB on top of the floor. Dry deep litter does not promote composting and any wood would probably last many years. I would think pallet wood would last much longer than OSB.

Anyway, just a thought if you have lots of pallet wood and don't want to pay for linoleum.
I found a big load of linoleum and set it aside but before I could get my truck to pick it up the garbage people compacted it.I almost got sick.I'm looking for more now.

I found a big load of linoleum and set it aside but before I could get my truck to pick it up the garbage people compacted it.I almost got sick.I'm looking for more now.

That's too bad. I hate to see good stuff being hauled off to landfill as garbage. :tongue

If you don't like the idea of using some pallet wood as a sacrificial covering for your coop floor, and if you can't find more linoleum, you might consider using some Black Jack 57 Rubr-Coat...

1662495323970.png

I used linoleum because I got a big sheet on sale from Menards for less than $25.00 whereas Black Jack would have cost me $50+ to paint my floor boards. But there are a number of BYC members who swear by Black Jack 57.

:fl Hope you can find another free source of linoleum and are able to haul it away before the garbage man comes.

Attachments

• 1662494859150.png
    1662494859150.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 3
That's too bad. I hate to see good stuff being hauled off to landfill as garbage. :tongue

If you don't like the idea of using some pallet wood as a sacrificial covering for your coop floor, and if you can't find more linoleum, you might consider using some Black Jack 57 Rubr-Coat...

View attachment 3250711

I used linoleum because I got a big sheet on sale from Menards for less than $25.00 whereas Black Jack would have cost me $50+ to paint my floor boards. But there are a number of BYC members who swear by Black Jack 57.

:fl Hope you can find another free source of linoleum and are able to haul it away before the garbage man comes.
Our coop was also built using pallets and some reclaimed wood (mostly free). The floor came from a wooden platform that some machinery was shipped on. It would have ended up in the landfill! Hubby brought it home from work. We painted it with Black Jack 57. The floor is almost 10 years old now and I haven't had to do anything else to it. I use large pine shavings a few inches deep and clean out 1-2 times per year. I use dropping boards under the roosts so the floor takes a while to get soiled.
That Black Jack 57 is good stuff! Very low odor when applying and it dried pretty fast. I did 2 coats on the floor.

I'm loving this thread!

Back
Top Bottom