chicknlittl

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2024
My speckled sussex rooster, Oleander, is about 1.5 years old and has been sick for the last 9 days. The first day I noticed he was walking almost like he was drunk, so I initially thought dehydration and gave him hydrating food like corn, watermelon, etc, and electrolytes. He looked like he was doing a little bit better, but the next day I found him flopped over on his back thrashing around in attempt to get up. I isolated him and made a separate coup. He has no balance and can’t walk without falling. He is still eating and drinking which I take as a good sign, but his comb does look pale. His stool is a dark/ bright green liquid consistency most of the time but he does have more solid poops every couple days or so. His legs are not scaly or bumpy. No discharge from his nose or eyes. He has lost some of his longer tail feathers but that started about a month before he fell ill and we’ve had weather ups and downs in AZ where I live. Nobody else in the flock is sick. I’ve researched a lot of possibilities, including Marek's, which is somewhat the closest match given his symptoms, however, he can still move his legs and his toes are not curled up at all. In fact, today when I has holding him up and rearranging the bedding underneath him, he hopped from one foot to the other quite sporadically to the point I had a hard time holding him and almost wrapped him in a towel to avoid injury, which surprised me. He manages to stay pretty straight and up right if he sits down on his haunches and nests almost, but he does roll over if he's not balanced. I read Marek's mostly affects pullet hens, but I don't know if that's relevant given his condition.

Does anybody have any knowledge or insight about what it could be, experienced this themselves, something that I’m missing, and any options for treatment? Any sort of help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

My speckled sussex rooster, Oleander, is about 1.5 years old and has been sick for the last 9 days. The first day I noticed he was walking almost like he was drunk, so I initially thought dehydration and gave him hydrating food like corn, watermelon, etc, and electrolytes. He looked like he was doing a little bit better, but the next day I found him flopped over on his back thrashing around in attempt to get up. I isolated him and made a separate coup. He has no balance and can’t walk without falling. He is still eating and drinking which I take as a good sign, but his comb does look pale. His stool is a dark/ bright green liquid consistency most of the time but he does have more solid poops every couple days or so. His legs are not scaly or bumpy. No discharge from his nose or eyes. He has lost some of his longer tail feathers but that started about a month before he fell ill and we’ve had weather ups and downs in AZ where I live. Nobody else in the flock is sick. I’ve researched a lot of possibilities, including Marek's, which is somewhat the closest match given his symptoms, however, he can still move his legs and his toes are not curled up at all. In fact, today when I has holding him up and rearranging the bedding underneath him, he hopped from one foot to the other quite sporadically to the point I had a hard time holding him and almost wrapped him in a towel to avoid injury, which surprised me. He manages to stay pretty straight and up right if he sits down on his haunches and nests almost, but he does roll over if he's not balanced. I read Marek's mostly affects pullet hens, but I don't know if that's relevant given his condition.

Does anybody have any knowledge or insight about what it could be, experienced this themselves, something that I’m missing, and any options for treatment? Any sort of help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Could be a vitamin deficiency but I may be wrong @Eggcessive your good with medication for certain things and vitamin deficiencies any ideas

Could be a vitamin deficiency but I may be wrong @Eggcessive your good with medication for certain things and vitamin deficiencies any ideas
I did purchase a B-12 liquid vitamin + vitamin K supplement that I've included in some of his water but have not administered it orally with a syringe yet. Additionally, most B vitamin deficiencies that I've seen have that curled up foot situation and his toes are not at all curled up, they're limp but not curly and not rigid, but I don't know if that matters a whole lot.

Back
Top Bottom