Silkie genetics of a blue paint/leakage/a hen that makes solid silver chicks that grow to have black spots?

ArtieeWithSilkies

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2024
Hello, I've gotten stumped with the genetics of one of my hens. I thought she was a splash as shes got a different shade of white compared to my other hens however didn't get blues when she had chicks with my black with silver leakage roo. The chicks she makes are a different colour to my white chicks and grow black feathers as they get older which makes me feel like its not paint as paint silkie chicks seem to hatch with some spots and her chicks are a greyish silver without any spots so I'm not sure. What would be causing the black feathers?

Here is the hen
1718718340362.png

Here is one of her chicks, a hen. She can be seen in the background of the top photo behind her mum.
1718718432401.png

My guess is she is a paint and has something that is blocking the typical paint spots at hatch. I don't understand the genetics behind it, but it is the same with the Ermine pattern on Ameraucanas, some hatch with black flecks in their down and others are solid white ans develop spots over the first few weeks.

My guess is she is a paint and has something that is blocking the typical paint spots at hatch. I don't understand the genetics behind it, but it is the same with the Ermine pattern on Ameraucanas, some hatch with black flecks in their down and others are solid white ans develop spots over the first few weeks.
Okay, thanks for confirming!

Hello, I've gotten stumped with the genetics of one of my hens. I thought she was a splash as shes got a different shade of white compared to my other hens however didn't get blues when she had chicks with my black with silver leakage roo. The chicks she makes are a different colour to my white chicks and grow black feathers as they get older which makes me feel like its not paint as paint silkie chicks seem to hatch with some spots and her chicks are a greyish silver without any spots so I'm not sure. What would be causing the black feathers?

Here is the hen
View attachment 3865847
Here is one of her chicks, a hen. She can be seen in the background of the top photo behind her mum.
View attachment 3865848
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/MubEJB6Ak95Hwp2r/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Back
Top Bottom