Soft eggs

jdennysgirl

Chirping
15 Years
Jun 22, 2008
My RIR's just laid 2 of their first eggs today. I was excited till I got a look at them. They are pretty soft on one end and it looks like they are not formed properly. Also, it looks like they may have pecked on the shells. Not sure though. I have 2 hens, and 2 eggs that were side by side in the pine bedding on the floor of their coop. Are they most likely each egg from a different chicken or would one chicken lay 2 eggs?
What should I do to get better eggs? I see all the nice ones on the picture pages on this site and I am envious.
They are eating layer feed and they free range most of the day. Thanks for the help.

That's pretty normal for first-time layers.

Make sure you are supplying extra calcium... The usual way is to have a small dish of crushed oyster shells in the coop.

I agree free choice oyster shell is probably the issue or just "newbie" issues. Still I keep this bookmarked for easy reference.... img/smilies/frow.gif" alt="frow" />">http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I feed mine wild game feed. My girls shells are hard to crack!! The game feed has a variety of food with out having to buy extra stuff. This works for my girls. Nemo and eggzittera have some good advice, too. DeeJay

As others have said, this is normal. The hens will get used to laying eggs, and their 'product' will change.
smile.png
Be sure the hens have free oyster shells to eat at will. The calcium will help their egg shells to be harder. Are you providing a high quality chicken food? I use Purina's Layeena; there are several others out on the market with high calcium for laying chickens.
The hens will not lay two eggs a day... not normally, anyhow! Most likely you had two different girls laying an egg.

Carla

Normal for beginning layers. I also give free choice crushed oyster shells. I know there are some people that don't. That is also free choice.

Back
Top Bottom