SOS balance issues in chicken vaxed for Mareks

babybop11

Chirping
Jun 3, 2023
My favorite chicken is showing balance issue, head shaking, and keeps trying to preen but doesn’t seem to have the coordination to. Please watch to the end of the video to see that. The back of her comb is a little blue and her crop is full- which is odd for her earlier in the day. She doesn’t seem lethargic and is still eating. I gave her Vitamin E and have been massaging her crop in case it is impacted and causing nutrient deficiencies. she is only 5-6 months old. just started laying. eats Nutrena later feed and was vaxed for marek’s as a chick

Look in her ears. If you see a crusty substance clogging them, and especially if you see any swelling around the outside tissue, she probably has an ear infection causing pain and balance issues.

Please tell us your location so we can check to see if any avian viruses are epidemic in your locale.

Look in her ears. If you see a crusty substance clogging them, and especially if you see any swelling around the outside tissue, she probably has an ear infection causing pain and balance issues.

Please tell us your location so we can check to see if any avian viruses are epidemic in your locale.
I dont see anything in her ears, i am near Richmond va. i’ve had her with me inside for over an hour and she hasn’t pooped but her crop is full

Thanks. I checked and bird flu is not a big issue in your state at the moment. Marek's can still infect a vaccinated chicken, though it does prevent the tumors. I'd put the probability of this being Marek's as very low due to her age and vax status. But there is another virus similar to Marek's that can start to show symptoms at this age - lymphoid leucosis. If the symptoms continue to worsen, it would give this potential more weight.

We don't want to jump right into the worst scenario, though. And we can't diagnose chickens over the internet. But we can treat the symptoms and see if it helps. This can also help to rule out the more serious causes.

You started the vitamin E. I suggest continuing with one 400 iu capsule once a day, plus vitamin B complex. Slip the E capsule and B tablet into her beak. The E should work more quickly than the B, but if this isn't something to do with an avian virus, her symptoms should begin to improve in a few days. Full recovery may take two to four weeks.

As for the full crop, to verify a crop disorder, check her crop first thing in the morning before she has the opportunity to eat or drink. If it's full and squishy, it's a yeast infection treatable with miconazole vaginal cream twice a day for seven days. If the crop is full and it's hard and lumpy, it's impacted and coconut oil is the treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thanks. I checked and bird flu is not a big issue in your state at the moment. Marek's can still infect a vaccinated chicken, though it does prevent the tumors. I'd put the probability of this being Marek's as very low due to her age and vax status. But there is another virus similar to Marek's that can start to show symptoms at this age - lymphoid leucosis. If the symptoms continue to worsen, it would give this potential more weight.

We don't want to jump right into the worst scenario, though. And we can't diagnose chickens over the internet. But we can treat the symptoms and see if it helps. This can also help to rule out the more serious causes.

You started the vitamin E. I suggest continuing with one 400 iu capsule once a day, plus vitamin B complex. Slip the E capsule and B tablet into her beak. The E should work more quickly than the B, but if this isn't something to do with an avian virus, her symptoms should begin to improve in a few days. Full recovery may take two to four weeks.

As for the full crop, to verify a crop disorder, check her crop first thing in the morning before she has the opportunity to eat or drink. If it's full and squishy, it's a yeast infection treatable with miconazole vaginal cream twice a day for seven days. If the crop is full and it's hard and lumpy, it's impacted and coconut oil is the treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
thank you so much! this is incredibly helpful. should i keep her separated from the others? nobody else appears to be having these symptoms

If they're mites, yes, they could. To verify if the bugs are mites or just lice, examine one under a magnifying lens, something you can buy where they sell stationary or even children's toys. Count the legs. Mites have eight. Lice have six. Mites live off the blood of the chicken. Lice live off the dander and dry skin. Mites will make a chicken dangerously anemic if not treated. Mites usually live deep in the cracks and crevices of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom