Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

Pics
quietheart, no matter how diligent we are about sanitation and biosecurity, if we own chickens long enough, we'll experience a sick bird through no fault of our own or we'll make a simple human error and one will become infected with something. It's just good to understand how diseases work and have a policy in place before it happens to you. I certainly wish you a healthy flock for years to come.

Speckled, I totally agree. I feel I've been very lucky so far, especially since our finances are so tight. My reasons for getting started were to help feed my family, I'm disabled and was feeling like a total burden, and also to be able to eventually sell eggs and chicks. My kiddos are more into the rabbits and eventually we'll be breeding and selling those too. I'm also really aware of keeping them separate from my fowl. I wish everyone else well also in keeping happy healthy animals.

Thanks for the info from a grateful newbie. Can you suggest a more permanent method than wing clipping to prevent flying? Preferably one that doesn't hurt the chick?
thumbsup.gif

HI SpeckledHen!!!
I didn't know that chickens didn't catch colds; I read a book that said they did, but oh well, you seem like you know what you're saying, and besides, the author isn't a professional. Thanks for all the advice!!!
~Ruthie

I know some materials use that wording, but you know that if you recover from a cold, you are not a carrier, able to make others sick when you are not. That is the main difference. Many viruses that chickens catch are more like HIV/Herpes types.

Back
Top Bottom