Spring egg decrease???

Rock and Rhode

In the Brooder
May 9, 2024
I have 24 hens and 2 roosters (barred rocks and Rhode Island reds) nearing a year old (may 25 2024). They have laid fairly consistently even through winter 12-16 eggs a day. Now with the winter thaw there are 6-8 eggs a day. The only change I made was mobile fencing around their yard so that they would have more greenery to eat.
None seem broody but they are not laying either. Does anyone else experience this?

Laying can slow down as temperatures rise. Here I generally see it around June and July. You generally will get you best production in early spring with production slowly falling off as the season progresses.

Make sure they haven't found a new place to lay with their new range.

Laying can slow down as temperatures rise. Here I generally see it around June and July. You generally will get you best production in early spring with production slowly falling off as the season progresses.

Make sure they haven't found a new place to lay with their new range.
Okay. We are finally getting warmer weather. So I will continue to mark my egg amounts.
Thank you.💕

Hi, I am having the same issue with my 20 hens; was getting 12-19 eggs (for a short period of time though) and suddenly it is 4-7. Hasn't happened to me last year, but I have different hens now. They have no new laying places as far as I can tell, so it is something else. Some physiological pause. My consultant says they can have a pause in the spring and resume production; we'll see. Hope yours resume laying soon.

Hi, I am having the same issue with my 20 hens; was getting 12-19 eggs (for a short period of time though) and suddenly it is 4-7. Hasn't happened to me last year, but I have different hens now. They have no new laying places as far as I can tell, so it is something else. Some physiological pause. My consultant says they can have a pause in the spring and resume production; we'll see. Hope yours resume laying soon.
Good to know. I am feeling better now. Was racking my brain trying to figure out what was wrong when I changed nothing.❤️

Well I think I discovered the issue. I have 2 roosters with my hens and found the Red trying to kill the Rock rooster. The red was being super aggressive. So I sent him to weasel heaven (a beautiful place where good weasels go when they die to chase chickens for eternity. It is where bad chickens go). Anyway, the next day my eggs were up in the double digits. Poor hen were super stressed.

Back
Top Bottom