strange quail behavior

bkvail

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Skagit County, NW Washington
I have 9 coturnix quail that are just over a month old - and they were living all together in a 30''x30'' rabbit cage - I moved 4 of them to a 24x24 cage though the other day. That day, I noticed one of the jumbo browns was acting strange. I think it's a roo..... he is walking kinda squatted (doesn't walk as tall as the others), but is also walking backwards mostly! He does it all the time - he can walk forward, but he mostly walks backwards. I didn't notice this until just a few days ago. He was going to be my 'keeper' roo, but now he's not, LOL. What could be going on with this guy? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Is he a large boy? I don't have an explaination for the walking backwards but the squat walking I do. My jumbo sized coturnix are always VERY lazy and will walk on their knees (elbows whatever you want to call them) most of the time. We bought cornish broilers the other day (chicks) and they do the same thing. So i guess in otherwords the chubbies walk accordingly to how hefty they are
lau.gif

the backwards almost sounds like braindamage to me (dainbramage)
lau.gif

he's moving his head around fine - it's only his legs that are affected. Gonna put him down early today because looks like he won't be able to get to food/water
sad.png
I brought him to the food/water yesterday (put him in the food dish and he ate readily).........

I had the same thing happen with the batch of quail that I just moved out of the brooder. Two of them started to "shuffle" around on their legs instead of their feet, frequently going backwards also. I moved them to shavings (the brooder has a wire floor) and they were at least able to get around and get to the food and water, but have not improved. Their joints appear very red and swollen. I'm going to be culling them either today or tomorrow, along with one other bird with a severely twisted beak.

You two (with the issues) do you guys think it may be a genetic issue or an illness or something? I'm very interested in this...it almost sounds like it may be a genetic thing???? Swollen legs and the backward movement sound odd to me and im interested in learning more to benifit us others in the future if we encounter the same probs hmm. I'm sorry you guys have to deal wtih that!
hugs.gif

I don't know anything about this, but I'm going to venture a guess anyway.
wink.png
I'm thinking that they are putting on weight too quickly and can't walk properly, once they are down on their "knees" it's probably much easier for them to go backwards. Like how (human) babies seem to start off by pushing backwards...

I havent had that exact problem with my quail.. But I had two buttons hatch that walked in circles.. They were full siblings.. The other 4 siblings were fine.. One of the ones that walked in circles died.. But the other one is a month old now. It walks straight some times.. Then just walks in circles.. We named it Dizzy.. It was never dropped or injured as a chick.. Been doing it ever since it started walking.. ????

Last edited:
i have the same problem with my quails. I have had a hen that has had crooked legs for about a year. I havent had the heart to put it down though it has been surviving.

I have started hatching quails and of the batches i have had 2 quails ((out of about 60 birds) develop the leg problem. Im not sure what causes it but i wouldnt put it down to growing too fast or putting on too much weight. Must be a deficiency of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom