Suddenly aggressive rooster

Roosters are a crap shoot, some are rotten, some are so-so, and some are truly a gem. Once you have a gem, well, that is priceless.

This one needs to be culled. And last summer I turned in two cockerels probably about 10 weeks old with my laying flock, and they thought they were tough, until Mrs. Feathers grabbed one by the comb and drug him around the pen explaining a few truths to him. Ms Black, chased the second rather furiously. But both of them turned out, my neighbor has one, and I kept Longjohns. He is a so-so rooster, but he is not aggressive to me, or so far to my grand kids.

The thing is, the lavender might not turn out either. One never really knows. I do think you get a better one with older hens, kind of, sort of. However, I have had roosters, that just did not work with the girls. I don't keep them either.

If you can't cull, don't get roosters, and if you want a great one, don't keep a rotten one. My all time best rooster was a homely rooster named Bye, cause he just kept getting the bye, the hens adored him, I loved him, he checked all the perfect rooster boxes except he wasn't real pretty. I ordered and raised up some fancy full bred birds, but in the end I kept Bye, he was a flock master.

I am hatching now - getting pretty chicks...we will see. It is a fun hobby.

Mrs K

TLDR: one year old rooster has suddenly started coming after me. Is it worth finding him a new home or should I find him a freezer?

Hello all! I know there’s probably loads of posts about these dumb dumb boys who decided to be jerks but as this will probably be a life or death situation I wanted to post my specific question to get some opinions.

We’ve had a flock of 5 buff Orpingtons for 4 years. I just adore them so much, they aren’t big snugglers but I still like to pick them up and hug them. We got a rooster from a friend about two months ago now. He was supposedly friendly, she only had him about a month because she wanted to hatch chicks but the girl she got him from said he was great. And. He was. Until about two weeks ago. He was hatched last spring so hes just over a year (I thought that meant he was solid in his temperament at this age). We had to treat everyone for mites that I think he brought. So after our first treatment I picked up one of our girls to check if there were any live bugs and he suddenly came at me. It scared the crap out of me, but I rationalized that he’s there to protect them so I guess that’s okay.
However, last night when I was making their ‘sangria’ (fruit and ice water) I walked past him he jumped me for absolutely no reason.
So now I’m terrified to even be outside. He’s a really big rooster, a buff Orpington and he’s just starting to grow spurs. I have a home based business where 6-8 people are here throughout the day and I can’t worry that he’s going to attack someone.
I feel like I’ve made my decision about keeping him or not, but I’m not sure if it’s worth trying to find another home for him. I’m so disappointed, we’ve wanted a rooster for so long. I thought I was being smart, buffs are a nice breed and I thought getting an adult would mean his personality was established.
I’d love any opinions. And also if realistically nice roosters are so rare if it’s even worth getting another in the future. Our new chicks are all Swedish flower chickens and I was excited to breed them all someday because they’re so beautiful. But I’m afraid of getting another rooster now.
If he's actually attacking you you're going to have to get rid of him, especially if you're having to look over your shoulder every time you're outside.

I've got all sorts of ideas on how to fix a borderline-aggressive roo (mostly involving bribery) that I've had work with them. If they're charging you and trying to spur you, I don't think there's much coming back from that. This goes double if you ever ran away or backed down from him: You're not only registering as "threat" in his little brain, but you're one he can drive away.

If you're in the habit of petting and cuddling your chickens, I would probably say roosters aren't for you. Chickens don't interpret physical contact the way humans do, so if you're frequently picking up hens to pet and cuddle them it's likely most roosters will interpret you as a rival.

Maybe you will eventually go through enough roosters you'll find one that works for you, but you'll have to decide if the benefits outweigh the trouble.

As usual, @Mrs. K is right on all counts here.
This bird needs to be dinner ASAP, for you or another family. For everyone's safety, lock him up until he's eliminated tonight!
We have had roosters for decades, and have learned how to evaluate cockerel behaviors, and who needs to be dinner, before anyone is injured. Adult hens and roosters help civilize their juniors, BUT human aggression is separate from flock behaviors, and genetics are a big factor in this.
Your cockerel might be nice, or not, it takes time to sort them out.
The worst cockerel we ever had here started seriously attacking us while eight weeks old! He was a real looser, held on to him for a while and he only got worse. At the other extreme, we've had a couple of adults decide to attack humans. Who knows why?
Good roosters spend their time treating their flockmates well, tidbitting the hens, and looking out for actual dangers out there. I expect them to move out of my path, and maybe come to see if I'm offending a hen, but then move off, because it's me, nothing to get involved in.
Rooster have really big testicles, and very small brains, and it shows...
Mary

If he's actually attacking you you're going to have to get rid of him, especially if you're having to look over your shoulder every time you're outside.

I've got all sorts of ideas on how to fix a borderline-aggressive roo (mostly involving bribery) that I've had work with them. If they're charging you and trying to spur you, I don't think there's much coming back from that. This goes double if you ever ran away or backed down from him: You're not only registering as "threat" in his little brain, but you're one he can drive away.

If you're in the habit of petting and cuddling your chickens, I would probably say roosters aren't for you. Chickens don't interpret physical contact the way humans do, so if you're frequently picking up hens to pet and cuddle them it's likely most roosters will interpret you as a rival.

Maybe you will eventually go through enough roosters you'll find one that works for you, but you'll have to decide if the benefits outweigh the trouble.
I think that’s kind of where I’m at. I know it’s silly, but I am the person that wants to pet and cuddle them. They love running to me and getting attention and it’s one of my greatest joys in life. I can also understand from his perspective why it’s a problem. I’m mostly worried right now about him going after a client, but I do feel bad if he winds up in someone’s freezer just because he makes me a little nervous

As much as it stinks, he needs to be in a freezer. He's shown himself to be a rotten roo with bad genes, he's attacked you and I believe you said the girls don't really like him either. No one enjoys culling animals, but both you and your girls will be much happier once it's done. He'll only be a liability and a menace if kept or rehomed

honestly I think I’m just afraid that I somehow caused this behavior since he was supposedly fine before and it just started happening. Like maybe I was acting weird around him somehow? And I’d feel awful if it were my fault that he’s suddenly acting like a jerk.
I wonder how much of it really had to do with him moving from one place to another to yet another. Not an expert...just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom