Texas

Oops, so sorry Heidi.

On my first year with chicken, i put my hand into the nest to double check the date I wrote on the egg. The setting hen bit my hand and ended up bitting the egg, causing a hole on the shell. I left back to the nest and it hatched later.

Since that incident, I use caution so the hen can't bite the egg. If I have to put my hand into the eggs, I always use 2 hands. One to cover her face, distracting her view while the other reaching for the eggs. I rarely do that since this can cause egg breakage so when I have to swap the eggs from 1 nest to another, I always try to do this at night.

Recently I have 2 hens setting and none hatched (maybe eggs was taken by rats). So I took 8 eggs from another nest to put under these 2 hens, four eggs to each hen and they continued to set. I decide to use both hens, since 1 may walk out later on and I will have the second back up hen to switch the eggs to. 12 more days to see the result.

I'm sure you realize that I use caution...it's breaking my heart!

I'm sure you realize that I use caution...it's breaking my heart!

hugs.gif
I am sorry!

Lisa :)

Howdy, fellow Texans!

I am currently living in downtown Houston. My family is in the process of moving into a more rural area outside the city, but we're still in the house hunting phase at the time being. One of my first projects upon moving into the new home is going to be building an outdoor aviary for Ringneck Doves. That's my own personal project, but my family has expressed interest in raising backyard chickens as well. Right now we have three cats and a Belgian Mal mix rescue.

I wish we were experiencing this lovely fall weather y'all are talking about! The weather here has been so sporadic. We'll have a nice breezy day, and then it's right back to 95 degrees and high humidity.

Welcome from Magnolia...not quite to Conroe but 10 years ago we were the boonies now we are sort of blobbed into the Woodlands burbs.

Anyone else notice how hard it is to get out of bed now that it's chilly in the mornings? Of course, I put the cozy flannel sheets on the bad, so that's not helping...

47 degrees here again; brrr!

Back
Top Bottom