Texas

I had a Muscovy duck that was sitting on 22 eggs for about 10 days when one of our Australorp hens ran her off the nest and started sitting on the eggs. I have taken her off the eggs three days in a row and let the duck back on them and she goes and runs the duck off the eggs and is back sitting on them. I guess I will let her sit and see what happens. ET
roll.png

It amazing how dogs can secure your heart. I have a 10 beagle mix and a large 5 year old coonhound. I have a feeling that they are going to pass around the same time in a few years. They are such amazing animals and I wish they lived longer.

The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me?
-Walter Scott

bnjrb - what side of Dallas do you live? I'm over in Forney...did you know that Greenville has a grain mill? Its right downtown. I've not used their chicken feed (don't go thru 50lbs fast enough) but have used their rabbit for years along with other large animal feeds. Its always fresh and no problems getting it so I'd just take a drive every month or two. I know they don't use any animal proteins in their feeds. The reason meat is being removed is that the requirements (health, etc.) are much more stringent if meat is involved. Basically any machinery that touches feed with meat in it can't be used for other feeds. I only have 5 girls so I supplement with dried mealworms. I think the catfish pellets is a good idea however would probably add to much "smell" to the egg; think I'd try adding calf manna. I use it for my chinchillas and have always used it for rabbits and large livestock. Its a great product.

bnjrb - what side of Dallas do you live? I'm over in Forney...did you know that Greenville has a grain mill? Its right downtown. I've not used their chicken feed (don't go thru 50lbs fast enough) but have used their rabbit for years along with other large animal feeds. Its always fresh and no problems getting it so I'd just take a drive every month or two. I know they don't use any animal proteins in their feeds. The reason meat is being removed is that the requirements (health, etc.) are much more stringent if meat is involved. Basically any machinery that touches feed with meat in it can't be used for other feeds. I only have 5 girls so I supplement with dried mealworms. I think the catfish pellets is a good idea however would probably add to much "smell" to the egg; think I'd try adding calf manna. I use it for my chinchillas and have always used it for rabbits and large livestock. Its a great product.

We're over sorta between Terrell/Kaufman. Had no idea that they had a grain mill in Greenville. Like to go up there periodically and get things at Atwoods that I can't get here. Will have to check out that grain mill sometime.

Karma came home today. He seemed okay with everything except the cats. He barked at one of my barn cats after she swatted him on the nose. My older dog and karma scuffled over dominance. Growling and some jaw slapping but no teeth.

He ignored the chickens and horses though. Followed me all evening doing chores. He's drugged back up on pain killers now, to much activity fresh after neutering I think. Aside from needing weight and a few manners he will do great.

wee.gif
Found the first egg this evening from the new girls! Think it was either the cochin or one of the guineas. Dark tan color and most of them should lay white or tinted eggs. Could possibly have been the BR, but I think she is a bit young yet (May 18th hatch date). Also it wasn't much bigger than a large gum ball.

he.gif
Didn't get the nesting boxes in yet either. At least she laid it in the coop and not out in the big run, since today was the girls' day out. Will have to set this as my project for tomorrow. Wanted to get ventilation holes in the boxes so that they don't over heat. Going to be using kitty litter buckets as the boxes (an idea I found online, don't remember where).

:weee Found the first egg this evening from the new girls! Think it was either the cochin or one of the guineas. Dark tan color and most of them should lay white or tinted eggs. Could possibly have been the BR, but I think she is a bit young yet (May 18th hatch date). Also it wasn't much bigger than a large gum ball.

:he  Didn't get the nesting boxes in yet either. At least she laid it in the coop and not out in the big run, since today was the girls' day out. Will have to set this as my project for tomorrow. Wanted to get ventilation holes in the boxes so that they don't over heat. Going to be using kitty litter buckets as the boxes (an idea I found online, don't remember where).

Woohoo!!! My grower pen of Lakenvelders started laying on my coop floor. Haven't built them boxes yet, either. Wasn't expecting eggs for another month!

Quote:
wee.gif
Found the first egg this evening from the new girls! Think it was either the cochin or one of the guineas. Dark tan color and most of them should lay white or tinted eggs. Could possibly have been the BR, but I think she is a bit young yet (May 18th hatch date). Also it wasn't much bigger than a large gum ball.

he.gif
Didn't get the nesting boxes in yet either. At least she laid it in the coop and not out in the big run, since today was the girls' day out. Will have to set this as my project for tomorrow. Wanted to get ventilation holes in the boxes so that they don't over heat. Going to be using kitty litter buckets as the boxes (an idea I found online, don't remember where).

Woohoo!!! My grower pen of Lakenvelders started laying on my coop floor. Haven't built them boxes yet, either. Wasn't expecting eggs for another month!

Congrats on the eggs!!!
celebrate.gif

I had a feeling they would start laying soon, some of their combs and faces had started to darken. I've just been focused on trying to get the "new" tank set up for my oscar. Been trying to get the tank cleaned up and resealed, and the floor reinforced, before setting up the 110 gal aquarium. Was hoping to be able to get replacement parts for the old undergravel filter that came with it but no such luck. Will buy a new one and install it later.

Based on color, size and shape I am leaning towards guinea egg. Although I know some new layers can lay oddball eggs to begin with. The guineas and the older pullets all hatched March 25th, with the cochin about a week later. Then I have 3 that hatched May 18th. Next I will be introducing the 4 June babies to the big flock, but they are still a little too small to hold their own yet and one of the BOs might be a male don't look forward to trying to add into the male coop.

Back
Top Bottom