Texas

AMEN to that! I waste an entire day, not to mention the gas and frustration, if I have to drive into Dallas to find something that I can't find at Walmart out here in the country.

Be careful doing that. We just found a newly hatched turtle here - it was an alligator snapping turtle. Not exactly a pet friendly turtle.
Also, something I found out the hard way, Turtles kill ducks by drowning them!!! I didn't know this, but we lost 2 ducks to turtles.
sad.png

I shot the coon thru the eye. That did not kill it so I shot through heart. Coon is dead in pic with my foot in it.

Trust me, I kill predators around here. Thought I had someone who wanted pelt, but they were a no show.
We found 2 opossums in our duck pen, one escaped but the other one took 9 (YES 9) shots to kill it! I couldn't believe it!!!

Also, reptiles (like turtles and snakes) carry Salmonella as part of their regular flora, so, especially if there are children handling it, make sure there's a LOT of hand washing so no one gets sick. (It's actually against the law to sell little baby turtles like that in pet stores specifically because they are most likely to be given to little children who then can get sick...

- Ant Farm
I had read that on line. I'm hoping their Mom did also before she went and bought an Aquarium and all. I will make sure she knows.

Also, something I found out the hard way, Turtles kill ducks by drowning them!!! I didn't know this, but we lost 2 ducks to turtles.
sad.png
I've lost 1 duck to a snapping turtle I believe in one of our stock tanks before we built the backyard pond. She was face down in the water when I found her and decapitated
hit.gif
No turtles allowed in the new pond. They really aren't allowed in our stock tanks either. The eat the bait right off a hook.

We found 2 opossums in our duck pen, one escaped but the other one took 9 (YES 9) shots to kill it! I couldn't believe it!!!
OMG, thank goodness you got one. Ducks all ok? I just picked up 3 1 yro girls for Bob and I'm scared to death even though they are in a covered chain link pen. I might sleep out there tonight.

I had read that on line. I'm hoping their Mom did also before she went and bought an Aquarium and all. I will make sure she knows.

I've lost 1 duck to a snapping turtle I believe in one of our stock tanks before we built the backyard pond. She was face down in the water when I found her and decapitated
hit.gif
No turtles allowed in the new pond. They really aren't allowed in our stock tanks either. The eat the bait right off a hook.

OMG, thank goodness you got one. Ducks all ok? I just picked up 3 1 yro girls for Bob and I'm scared to death even though they are in a covered chain link pen. I might sleep out there tonight.
Yes, the ducks all survived. They were traumatized, but otherwise fine. In a chain link pen you have to make sure that the predator can't dig under the fence.

This is my enclosure. It is a dog pen, my husband built the platform to keep things from digging into the cage.

Sorry, Ren2014, you have seen all this! I didn't realize who I was originally sending this too. Good luck with the new ones!!

Last edited:
Yes, the ducks all survived. They were traumatized, but otherwise fine. In a chain link pen you have to make sure that the predator can't dig under the fence.

This is my enclosure. It is a dog pen, my husband built the platform to keep things from digging into the cage.

Sorry, Ren2014, you have seen all this! I didn't realize who I was originally sending this too. Good luck with the new ones!!
Thank goodness you got them out of there before any lethal damage. That's about the size of pen we have but it is just standard fence height. We use it for drake jail, quarantine, sick bay and when introducing new ducks. We dragged it into a stall and now I have my husband predator proofing the stall top to bottom, lol.

AMEN to that! I waste an entire day, not to mention the gas and frustration, if I have to drive into Dallas to find something that I can't find at Walmart out here in the country.

Be careful doing that. We just found a newly hatched turtle here - it was an alligator snapping turtle. Not exactly a pet friendly turtle.
fa42fc083f815a2aab0d8f4cf30e960542e5c4d0c6a9831b06677ac86b6b7926.jpg

Back
Top Bottom