The birb king's chickens

Pics
Haven't updated this thread in awhile. The 6 chicks are getting really big and I've moved them outside. The 3 older ones are definitely roosters and I'm not sure about the 2 younger ones yet. I'm going to start selling some chickens soon and slimming down the flock for winter. I always need to make room since next spring I will be hatching a bunch and probably ordering a few new breeds too. I finally finished the new brooder in the beginning of October so that's where the button quail live now
20231017_164826.jpg
20231017_164853.jpg

Well this thread kinda died didn't it? Anyway I got updates. I had everyone together in the main coop for the winter but now the Seramas have been back in their coop for a couple months (still 2 roosters and 6 hens) and Miniscule Maddy had decided to go broody. She has 4 eggs and has been sitting for about 5 days now. I will candle them in a few days. I have a problem rooster in the Ameraucana flock that needs to go. There was a few chicks that hatched in the fall that were growing up over the winter. Luckily the olive egger was a hen but the Ameraucana was a rooster and he is horrible. He constantly attacks and fights with the hens for no reason. The main Ameraucana rooster Finn (his dad) constantly has to chase him away to protect the girls. Everyone is stressed out so troublemaker either needs to get sold or join the other free range roosters. A few weeks ago at the end of March I put a batch of about 20 eggs in the incubator. Mostly Ameraucanas as well as some olive Eggers and a few random mixes. 7 hatched in total, 2 died after hatching, 2 started to hatch and then died, and one got shrinkwrapped and was still alive so I helped it but it died too sadly. Not sure what went wrong but it's pretty dissapointing that there would've been 10 but only 5 made it. 3 Ameraucanas and 2 olive eggers. I'm also getting a pair of peafowl next weekend, but I'll talk more about that when they come. There is also 15 chicks that I ordered from the hatchery and they should be arriving any day now. Various breeds such as biefelders, wyandottes, leghorns, and speckled Sussex. They will go in with the other 5 when they arrive. Anyways here are the new babies that hatched!
20240422_201717.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention that the button quail are back out in the brooder shed for the rest of the year. They spent the winter in the garage in a different cage. Not really any plans for them this year other than just letting them hang out and enjoy life. I'm gonna try to sell extra males and get any more females if possible since I still have 7 males and only 3 females. I put an ad up for the extra males but no one is interested. Luckily the males do not fight but they do overbreed the females a little bit. Not sure if I'm gonna hatch any more chicks from them this year or not because that usually just results in even more males.

Well this thread kinda died didn't it? Anyway I got updates. I had everyone together in the main coop for the winter but now the Seramas have been back in their coop for a couple months (still 2 roosters and 6 hens) and Miniscule Maddy had decided to go broody. She has 4 eggs and has been sitting for about 5 days now. I will candle them in a few days. I have a problem rooster in the Ameraucana flock that needs to go. There was a few chicks that hatched in the fall that were growing up over the winter. Luckily the olive egger was a hen but the Ameraucana was a rooster and he is horrible. He constantly attacks and fights with the hens for no reason. The main Ameraucana rooster Finn (his dad) constantly has to chase him away to protect the girls. Everyone is stressed out so troublemaker either needs to get sold or join the other free range roosters. A few weeks ago at the end of March I put a batch of about 20 eggs in the incubator. Mostly Ameraucanas as well as some olive Eggers and a few random mixes. 7 hatched in total, 2 died after hatching, 2 started to hatch and then died, and one got shrinkwrapped and was still alive so I helped it but it died too sadly. Not sure what went wrong but it's pretty dissapointing that there would've been 10 but only 5 made it. 3 Ameraucanas and 2 olive eggers. I'm also getting a pair of peafowl next weekend, but I'll talk more about that when they come. There is also 15 chicks that I ordered from the hatchery and they should be arriving any day now. Various breeds such as biefelders, wyandottes, leghorns, and speckled Sussex. They will go in with the other 5 when they arrive. Anyways here are the new babies that hatched!View attachment 3814305
Ooh, you're getting peacocks again?

Back
Top Bottom