The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

What are the relative merits and disadvantages of the various lines. including dispositions?
Oh my, here comes a book sort of like my very much missed dear friend Bob. I hope no one on this thread ever thinks that I'm trying to fill his shoes because I don't think any of us could ever do that.
As for the different breeds, first off I think most on this thread has either gotten birds from Matt, Ron or Gary. Many times Bob has told us where his birds went to when he got rid of his original Mohawks. Brian Simmons. Greg Chamness and Andre St. Romaine. Matt got birds from Brian and Greg and crossed some and got his half and half's as some call them. They are still the Reese birds. Their was some talk that the St Romaine birds were crossed with a RC before going to Ricky Bates who was the person that had the birds that Ron now has. Through much reading up on this, I honestly believe that Ricky got his birds before the cross was made. Besides this, the cross was with a RC and to my knowledge there has never been a RC pop up so I do not believe that these birds were crossed with any other line. I believe that all the birds from any of these families are 100% the old Reese (Mohawk as Bob called them) lines.
I had these birds from Greg, they were very very slow to mature, mine were a little flighty for quite a while. I still have 1 cock bird and 3 hens and they are calmed down now but not the same quality bird that I received from Matt. The birds from Matt are really nice, good body structure, beautiful color, nice wide backs in most of the cockerels, wonderful dispositions, good leg color as for laying, I can't say, they haven't reached that age yet.
Before going any further I will again say that in my own personal opinion, whatever others call them, these are all the Old Reese line of the RIR's.. To get a true debate on this, you would have to get Brian Simmons, Greg Chamness and someone from the St Romaine family. lol And a mediator.

Now to the Nelson, The Nelson line of reds are quicker to mature, most reach POL about 6 months (depending on time of year), these birds are truly like puppies, I can sit in the doorway of the coop and these hens will get right up on my leg. lol They hens are really nice size, long bodies nice feather quality just a good all around bird.

The Underwood's. I am really pleased with my Underwood birds. I have three different groups of these. I have a SC family and a RC family from eggs acquired from Jim Heinz through Trish Dusil directly through Gary. I've heard so many say that the RC's are a smaller structure bird then the SC. Mine are just the opposite. It seems that my RC's are a little larger. These have really nice structure, nice disposition, decent layers (mine started just 2 days after 6 months old), color is great, nice brick shape on both male and female.
My other family is directly from Gary. I'll just say very nice birds. I'm very pleased with them.

I've had 3 other lines of the RIR's but really wasn't satisfied with them for different reasons. Some needed more work then I wanted to put the time into, some I just did not like the looks of the finished bird.

Ending up I will say that I don't think you will find a mean roo in any of these old lines, (if you bring them up right), There are differences in leg color on some, tail set on some, laying ability, quicker maturity and with this, they are almost all different.
The main thing that I will say to the folks that haven't been into this long, DO NOT CROSS THE LINES, If you are an old timer at this and knows what to look for then you do what you want and work to get a certain fault out. You know what it takes. The new folks will just cause a big problem and end up getting disgusted and give up. lol

Gosh, I hope I haven't bored you all to death. ha,ha
Jim

Last edited:
Here are some of my Rose Comb Reds.

33115_picture_303.jpg

33115_dsc_0146.jpg

33115_dsc_0155.jpg

33115_dsc_0008.jpg

33115_alotosw1oa.jpg

33115_dsc_0210.jpg

33115_dsc_0214.jpg

33115_dsc_0216.jpg

Single Comb

33115_dsc_0536.png

Chris
The white bird in the background, what kind is she? I have one identical and no one knows what she is. I love my RIR's.

The white bird in the background, what kind is she? I have one identical and no one knows what she is. I love my RIR's.
With the feathers down the legs I'd say a light Brahma or it could be a Columbian Wyandotte mix. ???????????? but then again it could be a light sussex if the feathers aren't down the legs. lol
If you are talking about the bird in your avatar I'd say yours is a Delaware from Hatcery.

Last edited:
Question for the experts...

We just had a show and there were several RC Reds there. One of my observation is that the males tended to have a point at the end of the comb that went up instead of following the head. Is that typical of RC's or not? The ones I have seem to follow that way. I am only comparing the combs of my Wyandottes to the reds. So I am about to start culling birds and wanted to know what to look for in the comb. Like I said I only have my wyandottes to compare them too.

Thanks
Rob

With the feathers down the legs I'd say a light Brahma or it could be a Columbian Wyandotte mix. ???????????? but then again it could be a light sussex if the feathers aren't down the legs. lol
If you are talking about the bird in your avatar I'd say yours is a Delaware from Hatcery.
Yes it is the 1 in my photo. She has some black in her neck, tiny bit in her wing and a larger spot on her tail feathers. Pale legs w/4 toes. I got her at a flea market, my son was amazed at her size and called her buff, so she still goes by that name. The lady said she was a spring hatch and thought she was an orpington. When I got home and looked at pics, I didn't think she was an orpington. She's 25wks now and i'm still waiting on an egg, but never knew what she was. I will have to look at legs for feathers, didn't know about that. Thanks

We just had a show and there were several RC Reds there. One of my observation is that the males tended to have a point at the end of the comb that went up instead of following the head. Is that typical of RC's or not? The ones I have seem to follow that way. I am only comparing the combs of my Wyandottes to the reds. So I am about to start culling birds and wanted to know what to look for in the comb. Like I said I only have my wyandottes to compare them too.

Thanks
Rob
OOPPSS sent to soon...sorry. Reason I am asking it I have seen this in several of the pictures of RC Reds on this site.

Yes it is the 1 in my photo. She has some black in her neck, tiny bit in her wing and a larger spot on her tail feathers. Pale legs w/4 toes. I got her at a flea market, my son was amazed at her size and called her buff, so she still goes by that name. The lady said she was a spring hatch and thought she was an orpington. When I got home and looked at pics, I didn't think she was an orpington. She's 25wks now and i'm still waiting on an egg, but never knew what she was. I will have to look at legs for feathers, didn't know about that. Thanks
I would say more Delaware then anything else. the Susses is solid black on lower hackle and end tail feathers. The Delaware is more like barred hackle and tail. For sure she isn't an Orphington.
Jim

Thanks
Rob
Comb: Rose low free from hollow center, set firmly on head, much smaller than that of the male and in proportion to its length, narrower covered with small points and terminating in a small, short spike at the rear.

Above is what the SOP says. Look at the pictures posted above of Chris09 birds. The one in the cage, his spike follows the contour of the head and Chris has been working with these for quite a while. I'd say they are to follow the contour of the head. The SC's are supposed to so I'm guessing the RC should also. I don't think it has to be tight but shouldn't stick up in the air. Just my guessing here. If the SOP doesn't say for sure, how are we to know for sure? lol

Comb: Rose low free from hollow center, set firmly on head, much smaller than that of the male and in proportion to its length, narrower covered with small points and terminating in a small, short spike at the rear.

Above is what the SOP says. Look at the pictures posted above of Chris09 birds. The one in the cage, his spike follows the contour of the head and Chris has been working with these for quite a while. I'd say they are to follow the contour of the head. The SC's are supposed to so I'm guessing the RC should also. I don't think it has to be tight but shouldn't stick up in the air. Just my guessing here. If the SOP doesn't say for sure, how are we to know for sure? lol

Since that's for the Female, I believe we're supposed to interpret that as the comb and spike should be small enough we can't tell if it's following head or not (which really makes sense, I'd be shocked if a female comb projected past the skull in any way shape or form). Does it say on the male description? I'm at work and my SOP is at home.

Back
Top Bottom