The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I would say more Delaware then anything else. the Susses is solid black on lower hackle and end tail feathers. The Delaware is more like barred hackle and tail. For sure she isn't an Orphington.
Jim
To funny, I think she knew I said I was still waiting for an egg from her. I went out and she was in nesting box and delivered a medium to large light brown beautiful egg. I do believe she is a Delaware for sure. For her 1st egg, it was already twice as big as my RIR's, not as nice of a brown color though.

thanks a million, I presume it is just from bad breeding over the years then, most judges don't penalise it though

Probably more the fact that it's only either 1/4 or 1/2 point deduction for extra (or less than ideal) points (I'm gonna start bringing my SOP everywhere with me, this is twice today I've needed it). Which is rather insignificant on a 100 point scale. So even if a bird had 9 points on the comb it'd only be a total of a 1 or 2 point defect.

To funny, I think she knew I said I was still waiting for an egg from her. I went out and she was in nesting box and delivered a medium to large light brown beautiful egg. I do believe she is a Delaware for sure. For her 1st egg, it was already twice as big as my RIR's, not as nice of a brown color though.
They are very good layers and eggs are usually x-large. I have 16 of those girls. lol
Jim
Oh, congratulations

Probably more the fact that it's only either 1/4 or 1/2 point deduction for extra (or less than ideal) points (I'm gonna start bringing my SOP everywhere with me, this is twice today I've needed it). Which is rather insignificant on a 100 point scale. So even if a bird had 9 points on the comb it'd only be a total of a 1 or 2 point defect.
I'd been wondering about this idly, but knew I wanted to focus more on body shape/production and tail feather lacing. I think. :) How hard IS it to get rid of tail feather lacing in hens? Never? 10yrs, 5 breeding cycles? :)

I think the reason most beginners zero in on the comb is because it is probably the easiest part of the to see a "flaw" in.
Just like BGMatt said the comb is minor in the over picture.

Ron
Some breeds have problems with combs. There are Disqualifiers and not points off. Marans is one such breed.

It is important to know what is going to be a DQ and what will be points off for a Breed.

Some breeds have problems with combs. There are Disqualifiers and not points off. Marans is one such breed.

It is important to know what is going to be a DQ and what will be points off for a Breed.

Agreed, I am talking about the number of points on these RIR not obvious defects like side sprigs and ect. I don't think I have seen any of these types of defects in these lines.

Someone starting out with a small number birds as a base, should not worry about a cockerel with good type that has a comb with 7 or 4 points.

This can be done farther down the road.

Ron

Last edited:
Agreed, I talking about the number of points on these RIR not obvious defects like side sprigs and ect. I don't think I have seen any of these types of defects in these lines.

Someone starting out with a small number birds as a base, should not worry about a cockerel with good type that has a comb with 7 or 4 points.

This can be done farther down the road.

Ron
I agree completely. I have see a couple of other breeds were easily fixed things like leg color or combs with the wrong number of points were culled for before the shape and body was not correct.

Build the barn and then paint it.

Last edited:
I agree completely. I have see a couple of other breeds were easily fixed things like leg color or combs with the wrong number of points were culled for before the shape and body was not correct.

Build the barn and then paint it.

I can see where everyone is coming from but after breeding a line of barnevelders for six years I hadnt noticed that the combs were becoming a pretty big problem. I would rather start off right and try and improve! like they say a good start is half the work.

To use your metaphor

Build the barn,
Put off painting it until next week,
Keep putting off painting the barn
stop noticing that the barn is not painted,
wood begins to rot and then you have a problem

Last edited:
I can see where everyone is coming from but after breeding a line of barnevelders for six years I hasn't noticed that the combs were becoming a pretty big problem. I would rather start off right and try and improve! like they say a good start is half the work.

To use your metaphor

Build the barn,
Put off painting it until next week,
Keep putting off painting the barn
stop noticing that the barn is not painted,
wood begins to rot and then you have a problem
Yes, that is where the problem lies I suppose.

I hope you can get yours in Ireland on the road to improvement. Do you have a partner or two over there to help you? A Breeding work group seems to really help. You could work on the Barn while others can work on the paint and trim then share chicks every so often.

Work with the same line though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom