The Legbar Thread!

I think that breeding spots would have to produce spots somewhere in the offsping. Since it is and expressed trait and vissible it is something that should be easy to breed out down the road though. :)

If you have a better pullet, by all means use her, but if their is something about the one with the spotted legs that you just can't find in any of the other pullets, then it might be worth the extra work later on to keep in the line. :)

So I wonder then, if I do breed her in future - especially as her somewhat creamy hackles could definitely be improved on rather easily compared to a fully gold pullet - there's a good chance that any male offspring would not develop the pigmentation in the shanks, but any female offspring probably would...?... Again, not saying I WILL breed her. Just playing with the hypothetical.
Hi. I would personally not hesitate to breed her and keep track of her offspring to see if there is a heritable problem or if this was a developmental/medical issue--because it is unilateral it makes me suspicious that it is the latter. Do any of this pullet's siblings have legs like either side (see links below for why I asked)? I have two pullets hatched and one pullet had distinctly more green legs (willow) at hatch and that difference is slowly fading over time. The green seems to be more restricted to the margins of the individual scales so the legs appear more yellow from a distance.

Whenever I see this sort of color asymmetry, I think back to the rare but documented occurrence of a chimera--where two different chicks fuse together in the egg very early in development and they become one chick with two different sets of genes. The only way you can see it is a color difference (or rarely a male and female fused together). Here is a link to several articles about the defect in pigeons with photos. In the rare event that this has happened in your pullet, the ovary would be of only one of the two halves and there is no problem breeding.

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/huntleyloft/mosaics.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ga/huntleyloft/chimeras.html

I would love to see more/better photos of the legs!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! About that girl, you couldn't see it in the other pics, but I think she has a major flaw that most would cull her for. Has anyone else seen a legbar pullet with two different color legs? This one had one leg that has almost a green tint to it.

You know what i just remembered one of mine had this exact thing. I dont know if it was one i lost to the cold weather or a hawk but none of mine have it now. it just might go away.

i Disturbed nap time.
Man, he is looking so good- both coloring but more importantly type. All of the boys look to have nice color--hard to assess type with them napping!

You must be very happy! How many are you planning to keeping for back-ups? The more you keep, the less likely a predator will get the one you like, its a clause in the chicken-math theorem set to ensure you maximize your chicken numbers.

Well all 4 of my original hen stock is broody. The one only hatched two eggs she is done sitting and the other nest is overflowing. I found all three of my gold looking hens guarding the nest. The two have been sitting on it for weeks but the third hen in this pen was sitting in front growling at me. When i first walked up she raised her neck hackles. When i left she was trying to get in the nest. I think shes been adding eggs this whole time.

These were a project to see if i could make a new sex link with a white production bird. They both have a tiny spot on the back of their heads. The one has a total white head on top and almost no feathers coming in the wings. the other has a yellow tint on the top of its head and has noticeable feathers coming in. Maybe they are feather sexing will see if the feather sexing holds true in the end and if white head or yellow head means anything.

here are the two broodys and the one in front i think is going broody too. If not she has a strong instinct to protect her sisters nest.

Last edited:
Man, he is looking so good- both coloring but more importantly type. All of the boys look to have nice color--hard to assess type with them napping!

You must be very happy! How many are you planning to keeping for back-ups? The more you keep, the less likely a predator will get the one you like, its a clause in the chicken-math theorem set to ensure you maximize your chicken numbers.
haha for sure. I was thinking i would keep two. but if i have a bunch of extras that end up cream i may keep three.

Hi. I would personally not hesitate to breed her and keep track of her offspring to see if there is a heritable problem or if this was a developmental/medical issue--because it is unilateral it makes me suspicious that it is the latter.  Do any of this pullet's siblings have legs like either side (see links below for why I asked)? I have two pullets hatched and one pullet had distinctly more green legs (willow) at hatch and that difference is slowly fading over time. The green seems to be more restricted to the margins of the individual scales so the legs appear more yellow from a distance.

Whenever I see this sort of color asymmetry, I think back to the rare but documented occurrence of a chimera--where two different chicks fuse together in the egg very early in development and they become one chick with two different sets of genes. The only way you can see it is a color difference (or rarely a male and female fused together).  Here is a link to several articles about the defect in pigeons with photos. In the rare event that this has happened in your pullet, the ovary would be of only one of the two halves and there is no problem breeding.

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/huntleyloft/mosaics.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ga/huntleyloft/chimeras.html

I would love to see more/better photos of the legs!

I initially bought a trio from a local breeder. The other girl I had did not have any green pigmentation on her legs. (I say "had" because she was the unfortunate victim of a predator last week.)

I would have to contact my breeder to determine if she has had any others with this issue. I will try to take a better picture when I get home. Thanks!

here's one of my boys that i hope doesn't get anymore color. he is 12 weeks old i now. . I like his comb with the slits in the comb being the at the same depth and length of points are the same. now I'm just hoping the wave goes away. The 2ND pic shows the 6 points all though the front point is very small. His sickles are coming in and his earlobes are looking good so far, A light blue color. Father was yellow ears, mother had green tint lol the 3 smaller ones in the bottom pic to the right are 13 weeks old

That's a really nice looking rooster thus far. I too like his stance and type.

Rinda your chick photos are beautifully done. I'm teaching Digital Photography this upcoming year and the chicks will make great subject matter.

That's a really nice looking rooster thus far. I too like his stance and type.

Rinda your chick photos are beautifully done. I'm teaching Digital Photography this upcoming year and the chicks will make great subject matter.

Thanks, feel free to use the photos for your class if they will help. I am a COMPLETE amatuer, however I got a new camera for my birthday this year that I just LOVE (Canon Rebel T3i) and it makes it very easy to get GREAT photos in all kinds of settings!

Back
Top Bottom