The Middle Tennessee Thread

My Blue Copper Marans roo died today
hit.gif
I do have another BCM and a couple of blues growing out.

I'm so sorry Donna. Maybe it will cheer you a little to know the babies we got from you are doing well.

Hey Pacnu....is that a brooder cap from Chicken fountain in the photo.....do you like it, I was thinking of getting one for our new babies arriving the end of April

Hey Pacnu....is that a brooder cap from Chicken fountain in the photo.....do you like it, I was thinking of getting one for our new babies arriving the end of April
Not exactly. We bought a few poultry nipples on eBay. I think it was ten for $7 or something. If you have time can get them for next to nothing shipped from china. You use a 11/32 drill bit and drill into a bottle cap you can use any kind of bottle. We will be using them in pvc pipes when we get them out into the coop. Just make sure you have that plumber tape or silicone for a good seal. Can use the flat bottom of a bottle for nipple and keep the cap to refill. With the one in the pic we strung some piano wire through the bottom of the bottle to hang it by. The chicks took to them right away.

Not exactly. We bought a few poultry nipples on eBay. I think it was ten for $7 or something. If you have time can get them for next to nothing shipped from china. You use a 11/32 drill bit and drill into a bottle cap you can use any kind of bottle. We will be using them in pvc pipes when we get them out into the coop. Just make sure you have that plumber tape or silicone for a good seal. Can use the flat bottom of a bottle for nipple and keep the cap to refill. With the one in the pic we strung some piano wire through the bottom of the bottle to hang it by. The chicks took to them right away. 

Isn't it fantastic?! I don't think I'll ever use a fount again. My coop has a 5-gallon bucket with three nipples in it and I just made one for the brooder that's like yours but using a square juice bottle. I fashioned a wire bail hanger for it. It takes 5 minutes at the most to drill and install. Neil G. told me to lube everything with water and that works well. I haven't needed sealant on a new container but have some handy now because I learned that if you drop your bucket during cleaning and it cracks just a tiny bit by the nipple it lands on... Ace had aquarium sealant which is food-safe.

Isn't it fantastic?! I don't think I'll ever use a fount again. My coop has a 5-gallon bucket with three nipples in it and I just made one for the brooder that's like yours but using a square juice bottle. I fashioned a wire bail hanger for it. It takes 5 minutes at the most to drill and install. Neil G. told me to lube everything with water and that works well. I haven't needed sealant on a new container but have some handy now because I learned that if you drop your bucket during cleaning and it cracks just a tiny bit by the nipple it lands on... Ace had aquarium sealant which is food-safe.
I've got the bucket too but was wondering how well the brooder caps work....apparently very well. I'll have to get some

funniest thing, thought I'd share. All of a sudden we hear the loudest noise from the girls outside. I felt sure a hawk was near or something so I ran outside. Come to find out two of them are fighting over the same nesting box....they have 6 to choose from....but both wanted the same one, both were sitting in it and squawking at each other at the top of their lungs. Then another one who got out of the pen was trying to get back in and squawking at the top of her lungs.....followed by a fourth one who stuck her head out of the smaller coop and joined in. It was a regular cat fight and no one would shut up!!

I have some bantam cochin roos. I am desperate to get rid of. I need to empty my pen. I have a mottled, a black, and a splash. I would consider all offers or trades. I would even be interesting in trading for some yard sale junk.

I have a rounen hen duck I am asking $10.00 for her. I would trade for some yards sale junk or etc.

If interested just pm me. I am located in Sparta

Last edited:
funniest thing, thought I'd share. All of a sudden we hear the loudest noise from the girls outside. I felt sure a hawk was near or something so I ran outside. Come to find out two of them are fighting over the same nesting box....they have 6 to choose from....but both wanted the same one, both were sitting in it and squawking at each other at the top of their lungs. Then another one who got out of the pen was trying to get back in and squawking at the top of her lungs.....followed by a fourth one who stuck her head out of the smaller coop and joined in. It was a regular cat fight and no one would shut up!!

I have 2 marans that are broody and I have 3 nest boxes. More often than not I find 2-3 girls in only the 2 nest boxes the broodies use. I almost NEVER find a pullet or egg in the middle nest box. They have their spot and nothing else will do.

See my picture? That's 2 of my girls waiting in line to use the favored nesting box while big red was in it. Susan & Buffy always have to wait because Red is queen and likes to take her time. If anyone else is in there she will go right in and sit with them until they leave. It's funny seeing the little red bantam Cochin going in when the big buff orphington (Buffy) is already there. Buffy always leaves and gets back in line if Red decides she wants it!

Update on my Black Orpington she is fine and back out with her flock. Apparently she heard how spoiled you get in the house and how nice and warm it was and decided she wanted to try it out
big_smile.png

on a diff note the family and i cant seem to stay away from TSC chick days. So in the past 2 weeks i have picked up 3 RIR, 2 Speckled Sussex, 6 Golden Comets, 8 Brown Leghorns, 2 Silver Seabrights, 2 Silkies, 1 Bantam Cochin, and 1 Bantam Mystery chick. Must resist going back to TSC. Oh and i also set 41 Golden Comet eggs in the bator today for a neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom