The Middle Tennessee Thread

Hi guys! I'm new to BYC ( I joined back in 2011 but wasn't able to have any chickens back then
sad.png
) but not to chickens. I had a couple when I was younger and I loved them so much and have many a fond memory of them
love.gif
Now I'm in a place where I can have chickens again and I'm so excited and cannot wait to get started. My DH has already said he would like to build me a coop at which I was somewhat surprised and extremely delighted by!
celebrate.gif

I would like to have 9 hens total consisting of 3 Buff orpingtons, 3 Speckled Sussexes, 2 Red Stars and 1 Blue or Speckled Cochin...and maybe a Barred Rock but I haven't decided yet. The problem is I don't know where to get them from...I would like to find somewhere local to aquire them if possible.Does anybody kow where I could get them? I could drive some if need be
smile.png

Welcome to the thread and
welcome-byc.gif

Not sure where to direct you. I think you are wanting all pullets too. The Red Stars are they the same as Red Sexlinks? They had those at the TSC in Ashland City, Did someone say they had Speckled Sussex at a feed store in KY. Beyond that I don't know where to direct you. I think some feed stores will order you chicks this time of year.

Well I'm definitely not gonna try my hand at breeding for a long while and I like a little variety
big_smile.png
For now I'm just doing it for the "chicken tv" and the eggs of course!! I'm not sure if the red stars are the same as red sexlinks or not and yes definitely all pullets...I also really like the Barnevelders too so I may get some those instead of the reds. I read somewhere that the barnevelders lay even in the winter months unlike most chickens, is that true?? If so I probably try to get them
wink.png

Last edited:
Well I'm definitely not gonna try my hand at breeding for a long while and I like a little variety
big_smile.png
For now I'm just doing it for the "chicken tv" and the eggs of course!! I'm not sure if the red stars are the same as red sexlinks or not and yes definitely all pullets...I also really like the Barnevelders too so I may get some those instead of the reds. I read somewhere that the barnevelders lay even in the winter months unlike most chickens, is that true?? If so I probably try to get them
wink.png

I don't have barnies.... I will say this any chicken that molts will not lay eggs while they are molting.... some take longer than others to molt. My White Leghorn started molting a few weeks ago and is over it and laying again in about a month. That is the first time my WL have molted that I know of. My BLRW have not been laying since late fall... and still not laying. The Marans lay in cycles on for 3 months off for 2 sometimes. They don't STOP but slow WAY down. The Ameraucanas are kinda the same way. It will just depend on the breed, breeding and weather. Pullets will often lay through the first winter so I try to ALWAYS have new layers to come online in the late fall so I will have eggs all year. New Spring pullets will often molt the first winter, but late Summer pullets will not but they could take longer to start laying.

I h
Well I'm definitely not gonna try my hand at breeding for a long while and I like a little variety :D  For now I'm just doing it for the "chicken tv" and the eggs of course!! I'm not sure if the red stars are the same as red sexlinks or not and yes definitely all pullets...I also really like the Barnevelders too so I may get some those instead of the reds. I read somewhere that the barnevelders lay even in the winter months unlike most chickens, is that true?? If so I probably try to get them ;)

I have a mixed flock. I love the look of it. I got mine from a guy in Franklin. Asked for all pullets and got 2 roos out of 10. Not too bad for a non professional...lol. I found him on Craigslist

Hello all! I'm new to BackyardChickens.com and new to backyard chickens in general. We live practically in downtown Nashville (8th south for those of you who know the area) so many of our neighbors think we are crazy. But they have thought that for 8 years so why try to change it? We just got chicks last weekend and in the process of building the coop today. The family is very excited and we have quite a little variety going.

Sadly, we lost one yesterday and learned a hard lesson about checking on them frequently. We aren't fully sure why. It was acting fine when we went to bed. My wife on them after lunch and our week old cinnamon queen was laying on her side listless. When my wife called me at work I walked her through checking for and cleaning pasty butt but it was too late. She got it cleaned up and it died within the hour anyway. I grabbed some medicated chick starter and we changed out the brooder as a precaution to protect the others.

We are going to try and get a replacement today. TSC sells in minimum of six. Are there any other places to grab one or two birds at a time? our other chicks range from 1.5 to 3 weeks old so I would actually prefer one a few weeks old so that is acclimates better to the others.

I've heard that TSC will sell a single chick as "snake food". Might be worth asking. And The Poultry House is at Bonnie's Barnyard on Saturdays and they often have slightly older chicks leftover from the previous couple of weeks.

big_smile.png
wink.png
Welcome.....I too just do it for chicken TV right now....so I have 6 pullets of 6 different breeds, love to watch them interact. I was told by the guy at Franklin Co-op on Eddie Lane that he could order chicks....he ordered me 2 silkies awhile back that I no longer have, but when I was looking for a buff Orpington he said he had a customer he could get them from (I'm assuming he means a farmer) so you could do that....but first I'd check out the Poultry House, they do have pullets and chicks on a pretty regular basis

Hi guys! I'm new to BYC ( I joined back in 2011 but wasn't able to have any chickens back then
sad.png
) but not to chickens. I had a couple when I was younger and I loved them so much and have many a fond memory of them
love.gif
Now I'm in a place where I can have chickens again and I'm so excited and cannot wait to get started. My DH has already said he would like to build me a coop at which I was somewhat surprised and extremely delighted by!
celebrate.gif

I would like to have 9 hens total consisting of 3 Buff orpingtons, 3 Speckled Sussexes, 2 Red Stars and 1 Blue or Speckled Cochin...and maybe a Barred Rock but I haven't decided yet. The problem is I don't know where to get them from...I would like to find somewhere local to aquire them if possible.Does anybody kow where I could get them? I could drive some if need be
smile.png
Found some Speckled Sussex on Craigslist here is the link http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/3659758778.html also a couple of the others u were looking for Oh and welcome to BYC and the mid tn thread

Available This Week - Baby Chicks - Multiple Breeds (Franklin, TN)

We have newly hatched baby chicks of the following:

Black Australorp,
White Leghorn,
Black, Gold, and Red Sexlinks,
Rhode Island Red,
Plymouth Barred Rock,
Buff Orpington,
Buckeye,
Ameraucana,
Speckled Sussex,
Cochins - Blue, Partridge and Silver Laced,
Silver Laced Wyandotte,
Brahma - Light and Buff,
Jersey Black Giant, and
Cuckoo Maran

All of these are standard breed chicks and we have male and female available. All of our poultry are hatched in a bio-secure enviornment (no public access or exposure) and are started on a high quality, all natural high protein, non-medicated feed. All of our chicks are at least 4 days old before we release them and they are already started on feed and water, active, healthy and ready for their new home.

We are a local, family owned and operated, licensed (USDA/TDA) farm hatchery. We are NPIP certified and provide quality pure bred poultry each week of the Spring hatching season. Our breed stock are selected for breed confirmation and production performance.

If you have questions or would like to place an order, please reply to this ad via email. You can book an order via email and then pick them up from our distribution center.

Back
Top Bottom