The Spice Cabinet

inmychickenmomera

In the Brooder
May 9, 2024
We started our BYC journey in March with three RIR and four BR. Unfortunately, one of the BR passed away shortly a few days later to unknown reasons. But everyone else thrived! As they got older we realized that one of the BR was a rooster (Basil), but were told by TSC that all the RIR were hens. As they continued to grow, much faster than I anticipated and I admit I shed a few tears watching how fast they grew, we learned that one of the RIR was a rooster (Cayenne), which was disheartening to us. I discovered this forum as they got older and I had continued questions despite my year long research before getting our flock, and found out indeed our other RIR (Paprika) was also a rooster. We are all still unsure about one of the BR being a roo or a hen (Salt) as they show both features. We hat least have two hens; Cinnamon the RIR and Pepper the BR. As a first time chicken mom I felt like I failed since we ended up with possibly 4/6 roosters in our OG flock. I’m praying Salt is a hen because where we are located, chicks are only for sale Feb-April and I don’t want the remaining hens to be so alone in a way.
Anyways, sorry for the rant. Here are the girls and boys enjoying a fresh snack of watermelons, strawberries, meal worms and clover while I sit here contemplating our next flock additions. Any words of advice or encouragement to help get out of this rooster rut?

Attachments

• IMG_5868.jpeg
    IMG_5868.jpeg
    793.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5875.jpeg
    IMG_5875.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Chicken sexing is only about 90% accurate and tractor supply is not known for keeping chick batches as separate as they should.

4 of the 5 look like cockerels. Decisions will have to be made as that will make for very bad flock dynamics.

Check craigslist and the like for rehoming the extra boys and getting more girls.

Good luck.

Chicken sexing is only about 90% accurate and tractor supply is not known for keeping chick batches as separate as they should.

4 of the 5 look like cockerels. Decisions will have to be made as that will make for very bad flock dynamics.

Check craigslist and the like for rehoming the extra boys and getting more girls.

Good luck.
Yes, we are slowly getting rid of the roosters. When they start crowing they will be gone. Theres only one rooster we will be keeping.

Back
Top Bottom